Africa-focused technology, digital and innovation ecosystem insight and commentary.
Manage episode 123418591 series 123744
By Mark Derricutt, Richard Vowles, Mark Derricutt, and Richard Vowles. Discovered by Player FM and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, not Player FM, and audio is streamed directly from their servers. Hit the Subscribe button to track updates in Player FM, or paste the feed URL into other podcast apps.
- Java SE 7u3 released, plus Java SE 6 Update 31 and JavaFX 2.0.3. Along with indepth specifications and documentation on the SE7 Language Spec and VM spec.
- EOL extended to November 2012.
Other / Misc
- Play 2.0 RC2 available. When asked where the webframework for Kotlin is at JFokus, JB reps said “Look at Play 2.0, we’ll make it work with Kotlin”. Good to know they’re not interested in reinventing every wheel out there.
- DropWizard went 0.2.0 - guys get your versions sorted!
- lamdaj 2.4 released - looks nice, but after using Kotlin/Xtend - these all feel too hacked on - even more so than they did before.
- Netty 3.3.1 released - supports SPDY, SPDY seems to be gaining traction and a call for it to be included in HTTP 2.0 has also been made.
- HalBuilder 1.0.1 released to Maven Central.
- Gerrit is now available at the Eclipse foundation
- TeamCity 7.0 RC
- IntelliJ IDEA 11.1 114.145 EAP
- new Groovy Console / REPL - doesn’t work against grails apps apparently (yet)
- More SVN 1.7 improvements
- Kotlin build tools available - Evgeny Goldin has been writing the maven plugin, which currently relies upon his ivy-plugin to download the latest kotlin from teamcity ( which exposes artifacts as an Ivy repo - NOT a maven repo ).
- Did we say Kotlin was open sourced?
- A decompiled Kotlin class shows how named parameters, nullability, and type reification works to enhance IDE support.
- Apollo Action MQ Sub-project went 1.0 - Apollo's new threading model which is geared to multi-core microprocessors makes it faster, more scalable and more reliable than ActiveMQ and perhaps many other messaging projects.
- Apache Sqoop 1.4.1 incubating release - used for migrating Hadoop data between Hadoop and relational dbs
- Apache DeltaCloud announced as top level project -Apache Deltacloud defines a RESTful Web Service application programming interface (API) for interacting with Cloud service providers and resources in those clouds in a unified manner. In addition, it consists of a number of implementations of this API for the most popular Clouds such as Amazon, Eucalyptus, GoGrid, IBM, Microsoft, OpenStack, Rackspace, and more. In addition to the API server, the project also provides client libraries for a wide variety of languages.
- Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.9
- Subversion 1.7.3
- Apache DeltaSpike - CDI extentions repository for Java devs
- HttpClient 4.2.1-beta
- Nexus Pro 2.0 released, adds Smart Proxies - nom!
- GroovyFX gets a new website/url - looking nice. I see the JavaFX Scenegraph was opensourced this week as well.
- Grails 2.0.1 was released 80 bug fixes (they say they have been aggressively attacking bugs people reported around moving from 1.3.x)
- Twitter has open sourced its Effective Scala guide on Github.
- JBoss AS 7.1.0 Final “Thunder” - Java EE 6 Full Profile Certified
- Android 5.0 “Jelly Bean” reportedly by June 2012 - Maybe for ONE handset.....
- CloudBees posted a good article on doing Continuous Integration of Android apps in the cloud.
- Calabash - automated functional testing of Android Apps
- Tech preview of Chromium with Dart engine built in now available. Let the fragmentation begin!
- Microsoft’s new logo is FOUR BLUESCREENS - respecting their heritage ;-)