Can We Stop the Officials Shortage by Shaming Parents and Coaches? A Conversation with Referee Brian Barlow
Manage episode 240058235 series 1417926
- The percentages of first year refs not coming back for the second year is dropping rapidly
- Kids who ref are terrified of the parents and that is not helpful
- Brian discusses why he started https://www.facebook.com/youreoffside/
- How far have some fans actually taken a perceived bad call?
- Is shaming parents the best way to help the situation? If not, is there a better way?
- Why are clubs so afraid of holding fans and parents accountable?
- How can we help first year officials?
- What is the dark side of posting photos of parents acting badly?
- Should a parent pull a player or a coach call a game for safety issues?
- Can a coach celebrate another team’s victory?
- What would a conversation between a parent and a child about behavior in the stands look like?
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- When You Attend a Youth Sports Event, Know Your Role!, by John O'Sullivan [Article]
- Downloadable transcripts of the podcasts, so you don't have to crash your car trying to take notes!
- A monthly discussion with John, James, Jerry, and other special guests talking about the previous month's episodes and answering some of the FAQs we received that month
- A code to get free access to our online course called "Coaching Mastery," usually a $97 course, but yours for free for becoming a patron, plus others including 'Transformational Coaching," "Respect the Kids," and "Warriors, Not Winners."
- Access to an online community of coaches like you who are dedicated listeners of the podcast, and will be able to answer your questions and share their coaching experiences.