Manage episode 152409008 series 50525
Episode 87 of the Guru Performance 'We Do Science' Podcast! In this episode I (Laurent Bannock) discuss 'Nutrition & Athletic Performance (part 2)' with Travis Thomas PhD, University of Kentucky, USA. In this session we get into:
- Review of part 1 of this podcast mini-series based on the ACSM / DC / AND Position Stand on Nutrition & Athletic Performance
- Focus for this episode (part 2): Nutrition For Athlete Preparation
- Energy Requirements, Energy Balance, and Energy Availability
- Body Composition & Sports Performance
- Principals of Altering Body Composition and Weight
- Macronutrient Requirement for Sport (energy pathways and training adaptations, carbohydrates, protein, fats, alcohol
- Metabolic Flexibility & Performance
- Micronutrients (focus on iron, vitamin D, calcium, and antioxidants)
- Foundational Performance Nutrition (food first, habits & behaviours)
- Dr Thomas's favourite topics: 'Clean Eating' and 'If It Fits Your Macros' :)
- Coming up in Part 3: Performance Nutrition, Special Populations, and Roles & responsibilities of Sports Nutrition Professionals.
Checkout our other podcasts, video blogs and articles on all things performance nutrition at www.GuruPerformance.com
103 episodes available. A new episode about every 17 days averaging 62 mins duration .