Manage episode 280013781 series 2808276
- A new podcast episode drops every Monday.
- Music credit: L-Ray Music, Courtesy of Shutterstock, Inc.
- Learn more about your host, Cordelia, by clicking here
- Be sure to follow Cordelia on Instagram: @codependentrecovery
- Want to help me make this podcast better? Take an anonymous survey here.
WORKBOOK + COMMUNITY + RESOURCES
- Want access to free resources? Click here
- Need help finding a therapist? Click here
- Check out Cordelia's book recommendations here
- Disclosure: Cordelia is an affiliate of Bookshop.org and she will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
- Are you going through a breakup or divorce? Here is the link to the 98-page workbook. Print version + ebook version available worldwide.
- Want to join the community (i.e., community club or book club)? Click here
- Interested in any other affiliate links? Click here
- Note: affiliate links mean Cordelia earns a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
CITATIONS FOR TODAY'S EPISODE
Overview of an Apology
- Definition of Apologize (Merriam-Webster)
- Two key elements of an apology (Mind Tools)
- You cannot force an apology (Psychcentral)
- Harriet Lerner quote from Why Won't You Apologize?: Healing Big Betrayals and Everyday Hurts by Harriet Lerner, PhD
- Motives for apology
- Four parts to an apology according to O’Hara
Types of shitty apologies
- Tactical apologies
- If apologies
- NYT Examples
- I’m sorry if
- Jets Example
- I’m sorry but
- I’m sorry you
- Déjà vu
- You know I am..
- I guess I..
- Not my apology
- Actions but no words
- Let’s make a deal
- Bringing up the other person’s crime sheet (Harriet Lerner) from Why Won't You Apologize?: Healing Big Betrayals and Everyday Hurts by Harriet Lerner, PhD
- Martyr/Victim Playing - from Why Won't You Apologize?: Healing Big Betrayals and Everyday Hurts by Harriet Lerner, PhD
- Demanding forgiveness
- Love you though (or miss you)
- Time passing
- Generic “for everything”
- Sarcasm: sorry!
- Passive Voice