Manage episode 231183441 series 1232493
This week we are talking about Monterey County wine region. This area is part of the larger Central Coast AVA that stretches from San Francisco to Santa Barbara County. There are approximately 46,000 acres of wine grapes making it one of the larger growing area in California.
Wente Riva Ranch Chardonnay 2016 - priced around $22.
- Aromas of golden apples, vanilla, melon and toasted marshmallow
- It’s dry, fuller bodied, with medium acidity with flavor similar to aromas
- Like the balance of acid, fruit and those oak aging flavors
- although it is fuller bodied the wine, it doesn’t feel like a heavy wine
- This is California Chardonnay done right
Birichino Malvasia Bianca 2016 - priced around $17.
- This wine has intense aromas of stone fruit, white flowers and orange
- It’s dry with medium acidity, medium body with flavors like the aromas- stonefruits, white flowers and orange oil
- Very unique and interesting wine, very fruity and intense wine
Hahn Pinot Noir 2016 - priced around $15.
- This wine has a light nose of red berries - cherries, strawberries and raspberries as well as sweet baking spices like Allspice as well as some savory, mushroom aromas
- It’s dry with medium plus acidity, light tannins, light body and flavors very similar to aromas just more intense fruit and mushrooms notes
- We did really enjoy this wine but we think it’s best with food.
- This Pinot has quite a bit of acidity and needs some fat to cut through it and really elevate the wine - maybe something earthy with mushrooms or lentils
- It's a great Pinot for under $20