Manage episode 228177288 series 1401967
If you're of the modern luxury business set, chances are you're reading LeanLuxe. Launched in July 2016, LeanLuxe is an online newsletter of noteworthy developments and big picture happenings in retail.
On this episode, Editor-in-Chief, Paul Munford and Stephan Ango roundup the latest news and trends driving modern commerce. VCs poured a record $138 billion into U.S. startups last year, but were unicorn valuations and expectations realistic to begin with? Now that the dust has settled, Paul discusses the adjustments VCs are making (3:20). Stephan and Paul question if it’s getting harder to become a global brand despite greenfield opportunities in consumer products (9:07). They chew on the consumer-centric shift in commerce, arguing a more fragmented marketplace will emerge (24:14). He talks about the new problem with shopping (27:40) and the return of physical retail (37:55). They discuss brands’ challenges of creating a physical gathering place (39:01) and community-building as a distribution tool. Finally, Paul talks about the future of connecting online (45:52) and the big opportunity around niche platforms (51:44).
Also mentioned on the show:
- 2PM Newsletter
- Procter & Gamble has acquired the startup aiming to build the Procter & Gamble for people of color
- Well Made Episode 56 with Max Temkin: Disregarding Rules
- The Trust Battery: My Interview with Shopify Founder Tobi Lütke
- Well Made Episode 54 with Studio Neat: Making Whatever You Want
- Well Made Episode 32 with Ken Tomita: Failing Without Fear
- "E-commerce sales in the third quarter of 2018 accounted for 9.8 percent of total sales."
- Well Made Episode 4 with Matt Alexander: Permission to Think Smaller
- Neighborhood Goods
- Function of Beauty Innovation Lab
- Angela Ahrendts: The life and rise of Apple's highest-paid executive
- Rapha Clubhouses
- Well Made Episode 53 with Eliza Blank: Cultivating a Modern Relationship with Plants
- The Sill Forum
- The Wing
- Girlboss Is Launching a LinkedIn-Like Platform That’s Exclusively for Women
- CrossFit and SoulCycle are becoming “churches” for millennials
- The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster
Links and images can be found on the Lumi blog.
83 episodes available. A new episode about every 9 days averaging 50 mins duration .