Manage episode 242529289 series 1473700
Summer Michaud-Skog, founder of Fat Girls Hiking and full-time road traveler, knows firsthand about what it takes to support a community where inclusion is the priority. And in a time where conversations around DEI are breaking open on the road and in the outdoors, her voice and thoughts about leading by following is incredibly valuable.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- What vehicles Summer has used to live a mobile lifestyle
- The organization Summer started, Fat Girls Hiking, and why she started it
- How Summer grew Fat Girls Hiking through a road trip
- The important learnings she’s gleaned to make hiking outings more inclusive
- Why #vanlife as it is today is problematic when it comes to DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion)
Other resources mentioned in this episode:
- Follow Summer’s work on Instagram: @fatgirlshiking and @vanlifeonthemargins
- Fat Girls Hiking
- Register for our WOTR Campout happening October 4-6th near Moab, Utah!
- Women On The Road on Instagram - @womenontheroad
- Join the Women On The Road Podcast Facebook group
Some starter resources to diversify your Instagram feed in road travel:
- Hashtags to follow: #blackvanlife, #brownvanlife, #fakevanlife, #asianvanlife, and #diversifyvanlife
- 2 new accounts we think you might like: @diversifyvanlife and @diversifyvanlifebookclub
Sponsor Websites & Codes:
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!