Manage episode 178659443 series 1430551
In this episode, we talk about all things teaching English abroad! As a source of income while traveling, this was the best option for us. The first country we moved to and worked in was in Thailand. In this episode, we talked about:
- Teaching English in Thailand
- How we were scammed with Island TEFL, then found last-minute jobs on Craigslist out of desperation
- What it was like teaching for the first time in Chonburi, Thailand, which was just an hour and a half drive from Bangkok
- The requirements, pay, etc. of teaching English in a primary school in Thailand
- Moving back to the US and discovering last minute that we hated it and needed to go back abroad again!
- Finding jobs last minute in South Korea
- Working as ESL teachers in a hagwon (or after-school language institution)
- Realizing 5 months in that we hated it and why we did
- Doing what is commonly referred to as a "Midnight Run," which is fleeing Korea to escape from your job and responsibilities
- Teaching English in Vietnam (just Marilyn)
- Making the switch from teaching in the physical classroom to the online classroom with VIPKID
- What VIPKID is, how to get a job with them, why it allows us to be "digital nomads," and why we love the transition
And so much more!
If you'd like to read a little bit more or see some photos, check out our blog post! Thank you for reading/listening! Cheers and happy travels!
Wine: Le Cavalier - Rouge (France)
50 episodes available. A new episode about every 15 days averaging 47 mins duration .