Manage episode 196782246 series 1430551
We changed up this week's podcast just a bit! A few weeks ago, Matt and I discovered an intriguing and unique article posted on Business Insider. The original article, titled "17 Cultural Clashes this European has in America" but also more famously called "I'm Irish and I spent a year traveling the US-- here are the 17 things that surprised me about day to day life," had gotten an insane amount of publicity-- and it's really no wonder why. The Irish author, Benny Lewis, who is known for his website on helping people become fluent in a new language in just three months, had traveled and lived in the US, noticing a lot of things about the country, then wrote an article, focusing on 17 grievances he had with the country/overall culture.
After reading this article, Matt and I found a lot of things that we completely agreed with and some things we didn't particularly agree with. We've been traveling the world for four years now and have also discovered a lot of things we never noticed before about our own country. In this unique podcast episode, we critiqued this infamous article and added a little bit of our own opinions into the mix! We talked about:
- Americans are way too sensitive
- Everything is "awesome"!
- Smiles mean NOTHING
- False prices on everything
- Cheesy in-your-face marketing
- Wasteful consumerism
- American stereotypes of other countries
- ID checks & stupid drinking laws
- Religious Americans
- Corporations win all the time, not small businesses
- A country designed for cars, not humans
- Always in a hurry
- Obsession with money
- Unhealthy portions
- Thinking America is the best
We also talked about:
- Our agreements and disagreements with these points
- Our own personal experiences abroad and in America
- What we thought about the positives he found in America
- What we wish more Americans would do more often
Thank you for reading/listening! If you'd like to see our blog post on this along with some pictures and more information, check it our here! Cheers!
Wine: Lindemen's "Unexpected Friendships Make Me Smile" - Cabernet Sauvignon (Australia)
50 episodes available. A new episode about every 15 days averaging 47 mins duration .