Manage episode 240758560 series 1415508
In this episode of You Rock, a Together Digital podcast we talk to clinical psychologist and author of All the Rage, Mothers, Fathers, and the Myth of Equal Partnership, Darcy Lockman.
- Dr. Lockman’s book asks the question in the era of feminist activism and enlightenment...
- Why do men still do so little at home, and why do women do so much?
Stay with us as we explore what it really means to have an equal partnership AFTER kids and how to empower both sexes in the home.
Follow Darcy @darcylockman. Find more about her book and others at www.darcylockman.com.
Here’s what we do know.
Women are still doing 3x the amount of housework as men.
- A 2015 study found that working heterosexual couples performed 15 hours each of housework per week before having kids. After children, women did the same amount of housework while men did five hours less, and women took on eight more hours of childcare than men..
- On average, most men would not be able to put in longer hours in paid work if there were not a woman taking on the majority of the duties at home—in essence working a second shift without pay.
- Division of labor in the home is one of the most important equity issues of our time. Equity in the workplace will not be possible until there is also equity within the home.
Darcy's story begins when she and her husband became parents more than a decade ago, she says, "I was not prepared for the ways in which sexism was about to express itself in our relationship”...
Welcome to Season 3 or should we call it Season 1? Our podcast and our brand have a complete facelift. Same amazing association, new name. As I mentioned in episode one, Women in Digital is now Together Digital and we are bigger and better than ever before!
- We are gearing up for the 2019 Together Digital National Conference.
- NatCon 2019 takes place Sept 18 - 20 in Columbus, OH.
- I often call the National Conferences, my Christmas Day.
- All year, every year I have the great fortune of traveling across the country meeting all of you, hearing stories of your challenges and your triumphs. I find that each of us in every part of the country are bound by a common thread our experiences as modern, working women and in many cases, motherhood.
- What you don't get to see is my bird’s eye view of all of you - you amazing, beautifully flawed, courageous and passionate women who just want the best for yourselves and your families and yes, the companies and brand that challenge you forward.
- NatCon is when you get to see what I see - each other, bound by the thread but in the same space for three entire days.
- We learn, we network and we grow in the indescribable ways every year.
- NatCon 2019 will include content and traffic workshops, professional development workshops, diversity and Inclusion workshops and case studies from the best of the best within our membership community
- Tickets are limited and can be purchased on our website at together in digital dot com forward slash national conference.
- A full itinerary and events you can’t miss are also located on the website---- and again that is together in digital dot com forward slash national conference
- The wins are off the charts this year. Members are earning raises, more confidence, finding balance where they hadn’t before, and most of all - sisterhood.
- Speaking of -- MEMBER WIN. Every episode we want to feature a Member Win. This show it’s Alaina Jenkins. Listen to what she has to say about membership and what she’s gained.
When you join Together Digital you have access to all past interviews, our private Slack community to connect with members across the country AND, best of all you’ll be plugged into Virtual Peer Circles whenever you need that extra boost of support. Members also have major discounts to our National Conference and access to local and special events. And don’t forget to purchase tickets if you haven’t already done so for NatCon 2019. It’s going to change lives guys, and I don’t want you to miss the magic. More info at together in digital dot com forward slash national conference.
For more on joining us visit TogetherinDigital.com.