Manage episode 246895384 series 2295535
Mike tells Sarah how NGOs, activists and George W. Bush resurrected the ‘stranger danger’ panic for the modern era. Digressions include Reply All, muffins and Yelp for massage parlors. Mike’s vocal fry is worse than usual.
Corrections: Mike gets the first name of Catharine MacKinnon wrong and says first-wave feminism when he means second wave. He’s extremely embarrassed.
- The Vanity Fair article debunking the Robert Kraft case
- The infamous Washington Post fact-check of the claim that 1 in 7 runaways are victims of sex trafficking
- Janie Chuang’s excellent article on “Exploitation Creep”
- Another Chuang article: “Rescuing Trafficking From Ideological Capture: Prostitution Reform and Anti-Trafficking Law and Policy”
- Excellent debunking of the “Seattle Review Board” case
- A terrific blog written by sex workers that includes a number of posts on trafficking
- The salty task force report
- A deep dive into trafficking statistics by Ron Weitzer
- “The NGO-ification of the Anti-Trafficking Movement In the United States”
- GAO study with lots of stats about T-visas
- “Human Trafficking: Sketchy Data And Policy Responses”
- “Sex, Trafficking, and the Politics of Freedom”
- “The Making of ‘The Trafficking Problem’”