Welcome to Exploration Radio, a podcast focusing on the past, present and future of exploration. Featuring interviews and discussions with explorers about the challenges they have faced, what we stand to learn from them and how we can better prepare for the future. Ultimately these are stories about exploration...and the people, places and issues prevalent within it. Come join us and let's explore.
The elephant in the room is that the mining industry has lost the trust of the most serious investors, causing an exodus of capital that will not return quickly.
A common career fork in the road: to stay and be loyal to a company to earn opportunities? Or to leave and pursue challenges elsewhere? That is the question in the minds of many.
Over the last 4 years, Steve and I have been the interviewers asking all the questions. This time, we are the ones answering the questions. And you the listeners get to find out what you have always wanted to know about Exploration Radio.
Career paths for executives and managers are usually well established. For technical roles, usually not so. What is Kathy Ehrig's secret to surviving as one for nearly 3 decades at BHP? Learning a new language.
UNCOVER was an initiative setup to combat the declining rate of mineral discoveries in Australia. There were many good outcomes from the project; NExUS being one. But perhaps in the end, the project struggled to accomplish its main goal - of changing the exploration industry in Australia.
Over 80 years ago, Walt Disney started teaching his employees how to become better animators. Richard Lilly and NExUS are trying to do the same with geoscientists now.
Everyone says making changes in big companies is like turning around the Titanic. Find out how Sam Walsh did it for one of the biggest companies in the world.
We are obsessed with technology that gives us data in real time. What we really need is the ability to make better decisions in near real time.
Would early stage exploration be more successful in attracting investment if it was funded by private investors... like how venture capital firms fund startups in other industries.
Everyone in the industry has an opinion on how major companies should run exploration. Maybe it is time we have an honest conversation about why these companies have to be different.
All innovation programs have a 70/30 rule associated with them. Only 30% of the problem is related to the technology. The other 70% is all about people's behaviours. To be successful, you have to solve both.
Did you know that 3M started off as mining venture in 1902? Over the last 100 years, it has become a materials company. Would mining companies be more sustainable as a business if they were more vertically integrated? Should they do more than just mining?
Social license issues have become commonplace in mining. In OECD countries, where there are more avenues of industrial development, navigating these has its own risks. We perceive these countries to be low risk for mining development. But is that changing?
A lot of the debate around data science in mining focuses on the what and the why: what information do geologists and engineers need to learn and why do they need to learn it. But the real question is: how do we learn from each other?
Mining has always been considered a laggard in adopting real-time analytics when compared to the oil and gas industry. This was not because of a lack of interest. In reality, there were some good reasons why this did not work in mining. Until now.
Would academic research be more relevant to industry if academics adopted a more entrepreneurial approach? What could the lean startup model teach researchers?
A geologist, an engineer, and a social scientist walk into a bar. They discuss how the value proposition of resource development has changed and how we need to evolve it beyond just the economic benefit it provides.