Waddesdon Manor Coach House

Share
 

Manage series 1223518
By Discovered by Player FM and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, not Player FM, and audio streamed directly from their servers.
The Coach House forms part of the Stables complex at Waddesdon Manor. Designed by the architect of the manor itself, Gabriel-Hippolyte Destailleur, they are housed in a French-inspired courtyard, of which the Coach House takes up one wing. Originally, the complex included a coach washing shed, stalls for the carriage horses, loose boxes for riding horses, tack rooms and feed rooms, with accommodation for the grooms and stable hands above. Now, it houses a restaurant, shops and within the Coach House, an area for exhibitions, performances and displays. The 50th Anniversary Audio Tour celebrates the bequest of the Manor to the National Trust in 1957 on the death of James de Rothschild through the voices of some of those who were involved in the early days of the opening of the Manor to the public. It recounts the preparations needed to transform the house to absorb thousands of visitors annually, the central role played by James' widow Dorothy and the early relationship with the National Trust itself seen through the eyes of those who knew her, including the present Lord Rothschild.

1 episodes available.