Manage episode 204691067 series 1832539
There are so many reasons why art is part of education. Deanna and Julie chat about its effect on other school subjects and its inherent value in fostering creativity, visual learning, noticing details, motor skills, confidence, comfort with ambiguity, learning from mistakes, perseverance, and communication with others.
Here's a few things we mention:
- Project Zero (Ellen Winner and Lois Hetland) — an arts-education program at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. Reviewing Education and the Arts Project (REAP) Executive Summary
- Teaching art or teaching to think like an artist? | Cindy Foley | TEDxColumbus. "Teaching for Creativity is all about Teaching the Habits Artist Employ."
- Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
- Ira Glass's quote about developing your skill to match your taste
- Willpower Instinct, by Kelly McGonigal,
Here's the full Highlights: http://ridgelightranch.com/podcast-22-why-art-education