Andrew C. McCarthy: Lessons from the Blind Sheikh Terror Trial, What Animates Jihadists, Why U.S. Middle East Policy Fails, Collapsing Iran's Regime (Part I)
Manage episode 207546762 series 2327233
Andrew C. McCarthy (@AndrewCMcCarthy) is senior fellow at the National Review Institute, contributing editor of National Review and author most recently of essential books on the threat of Islamic supremacism including Willful Blindness: A Memoir of the Jihad, The Grand Jihad: How Islam and the Left Sabotage America and Spring Fever: The Illusion of Islamic Democracy.
In addition to being one of the nation’s foremost national security analysts and legal experts — formerly serving as Assistant U.S. Attorney in the vaunted Southern District of New York — he is one of the most humble, insightful and devoted patriots I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.
In Part I of my in-depth interview with Andy McCarthy, we discussed his experience prosecuting the jihadist mastermind of the first World Trade Center attack and what it taught him about the Islamic supremacist threat America faces, the primacy of religion for Muslims in the Middle East and in the West, why Islamic supremacists choose jihadist savagery over assimilation, willful blindness in American national security and foreign policy regarding the nature of the jihadist threat, folly in American foreign affairs from Syria to Libya, and the imperative to collapse the Khomeinist Iranian regime.What We Discussed
- How McCarthy, an Irish Catholic kid from the Bronx became one of the nation’s foremost legal experts on jihad and Sharia law
- The prosecution of the Blind Sheikh and his terrorist cell over the first World Trade Center attack and plots to destroy other New York City landmarks
- McCarthy’s impressions having sat face-to-face with some of the world’s most evil jihadists, and why their portrayal as genocidal maniacs is wholly inaccurate
- The strength of religion over other animating factors when it comes to jihad, and the West’s projection and mirror-imaging
- Why Islamic supremacists do not want to assimilate into Western culture or adopt Western principles such as freedom of religion and individual liberty
- The willful blindness and arrogance of America’s national security and foreign policy establishment over Islamic supremacism and the Middle East
- Whether America is better off in homeland security and foreign affairs almost 17 years after 9/11
- McCarthy’s belief in the Bush Doctrine
- What America’s national interest is in Syria
- McCarthy’s fear that America will be unwilling to engage in future wars of necessity given the expense in blood and treasure of the last two decades
- What McCarthy would do if he were counterjihadist czar
- The West’s disastrous record of colluding with the Muslim Brotherhood and its offshoots
- The disaster of Iran Deal and the imperative to collapse Iran’s Khomeinist regime
Thanks for Listening!
Check out other episodes, show notes and transcripts at benweingarten.com/bigideas.
Advertising & Sponsorship Inquiries: E-mail us.
Backed Vibes (clean) Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
17 episodes available. A new episode about every 10 days averaging 44 mins duration .