Manage episode 278332380 series 2149378
We learn all the necessary details to get into the world of developer game jams, while Michael triggers all parents, Allen’s moment of silence is oddly loud, and Joe hones his inner Steve Jobs.
If you’re reading these show notes via your podcast player and wondering where you can find them in your browser, well wonder no more. These show notes can be found at https://www.codingblocks.net/episode146 in all their 8-bit glory. Check it out and join the conversation.
- Educative.io – Learn in-demand tech skills with hands-on courses using live developer environments. Visit educative.io/codingblocks to get an additional 10% off an Educative Unlimited annual subscription.
- xMatters – Sign up today to learn how to take control of your incident management workflow and get a free xMatters t-shirt.
- Datadog – Sign up today for a free 14 day trial and get a free Datadog t-shirt after your first dashboard.
What kind of game do you want to make?
- Puzzle, because I want my players to suffer as I have suffered making this game.
- First Person Shooter, what else is there?
- Roguelike, cuz procedural generation is kinda like a game for the programmer.
- RPG, it's kinda like writing fan-fiction and that's awesome.
- Platformer, like Mario, not the shoes.
- Racing, cuz momma, I wanna go fast.
- Turn-Based/Strategy, Cuz all your base are belong to me
- Thank you to everyone that left us a new review!
- iTunes: AbhishekN12, shkpstrbtorurn, Herkamer’s dad, Bamers22
- Stitcher: Pour one out for Stitcher reviews, as sadly, they no longer have them. 8(
- Follow our upcoming events! (/events)
- Unlimited Google Photos’ … for a limited time. (blog.google)
- Woo-hoo! We cracked the top 15 in the Apple Podcasts Technology category somehow!
- We’re hosting a game jam January 21 – 24, 2021 – let’s make games!
Is Game Dev your Jam?
What are Game Jams?
- A timed challenged to create and publish games.
- Similar to a musical jam, people bring in their own perspectives and skills, and making new stuff for the world
- Did you know there is an International Game Jam conference?
- When’s the next game jam?
Popular Game Jams
- Ludum Dare (ldjam.com)
- An online event where games are made from scratch in a weekend. Check it out every April and October!
- Global Game Jam (https://globalgamejam.org)
- Empowers individuals worldwide to learn, experiment, and create together through the medium of games.
- January 2020, they had 934 locations in 118 countries create 9,601 games in one weekend!
- GGJ 2021 is scheduled for January 29-31, 2021.
- 7DRL (7drl.com)
- The 7DRL Challenges are NOT about being a fast coder, but rather proving you can release a finished, playable roguelike to the world.
- itch.io (itch.io)
- itch.io is a simple way to find and share indie games online for free.
- GMTK is 48hours, with 18k entrants.
- Anyone can instantly create and host a jam.
- 109,365 games have been created for jams hosted on itch.io.
Why Should You do a Game Jam?
- Meet new people, see how they solved similar problems.
- Learn something new.
- Maybe you’ll love it?
- Great for your GitHub, blog, Twitch, etc. content.
- Maybe make millions of $$$.
- Step 1. enter game jam,
- Step 2. … something about making a game …, and
- Step 3. profit!
How can you Game Jam?
- Join the Coding Blocks Game Jam, January 21 – 24, 2021!
- Check Indie Game Jams for a jam that interests you.
- No need to take time off, just do what you can.
- You can even make your own jams.
- Game Maker
- RPG Maker
- App Game Kit
Resources We Like
- Indie Game Jams (indiegamejams.com)
- International Conference on Game Jams (indiegamejams.com)
- Ludum Dare (ldjam.com)
- Ludum Dare 47 event stats (ldjam.com)
- Global Game Jam Online (globalgamejam.org)
- What is Global Game Jam? (YouTube)
- The 7DRL Challenge (7drl.com)
- 7DRL Challenge 2020 (7drl.com)
- 10 Awesome Game Jam Success Stories (gamesparks.com)
- All Your Database Are Belong to Us (episode 13)
Tip of the Week
- Some places to learn python (pyatl.dev)
- JSONPath StatusBar (marketplace.visualstudio.com)
- An awesome curated list of chaos engineering resources (GitHub)
- Ultra portable 13″ laptops that Michael has his eye one:
|Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition (Dell)||$1,049.00|
|Razer Blade Stealth 13 (Best Buy)||online/clearance at $1,299.99 (seen for less in the store)|
|Razer Book 13 (Razer)||$1,199.99|
Honorable (and/or forgotten) mentions
|$999.00||Samsung Galaxy Book Flex 13.3″ (Amazon)|
|$999.99||Apple MacBook Air 13.3″ with Apple M1 Chip (Amazon)|