Manage episode 230507159 series 2151271
Learn about the risks of being vaccinated with virologist Paul Duprex. Then, learn about how to overcome the backfire effect, a cognitive bias that pits your beliefs against facts.
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer discuss why contradictory facts make your beliefs get stronger, based on the following story about the “backfire effect” from Curiosity.com: https://curiosity.im/2uhxfEz
Additional resources from Paul Duprex, director of the Center for Vaccine Research at the University of Pittsburgh and a professor of microbiology and cellular genetics:
- University of Pittsburgh Center for Vaccine Research — http://cvr.pitt.edu/
- Paul Duprex on Twitter — https://twitter.com/10queues
- @PittCVR on Twitter — https://twitter.com/PittCVR
- Measles: Why it’s so deadly, and why vaccination is so vital | The Washington Post — https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/measles-why-its-so-deadly-and-why-vaccination-is-so-vital/2019/02/15/a452e5c4-2fd0-11e9-8ad3-9a5b113ecd3c_story.html
- Research from Paul Duprex — https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=duprex+wp%5Bauthor%5D
- Pitt Announces New Director of the Center for Vaccine Research — https://www.upmc.com/media/news/duprex-announcement
If you love our show and you're interested in hearing full-length interviews, then please consider supporting us on Patreon. You'll get exclusive episodes and access to our archives as soon as you become a Patron! https://www.patreon.com/curiositydotcom
Download the FREE 5-star Curiosity app for Android and iOS at https://curiosity.im/podcast-app. And Amazon smart speaker users: you can listen to our podcast as part of your Amazon Alexa Flash Briefing — just click “enable” here: https://curiosity.im/podcast-flash-briefing.
401 episodes available. A new episode about every day averaging 9 mins duration .