Manage episode 336507262 series 3266238
By 1984, Billy Joel was known for changing styles from album to album. What’s less recognized was how often he changed voices. And, one night that year in England, those voices were all on display.
Close listening to any Billy Joel record reveals a variety of tones, accents, and affectations in the singing. Add to that the many impressions he’s done over the years in interviews and concerts.
Many of them were on display, and front and center, when BIlly and the band took the stage at Wembley Arena in June of 1984. Deep into the An Innocent Man tour, the concert was simulcast on radio and television in Europe.
As a result of it being broadcast, the mix is often more dry and a little muted with the singing more prominent than usual. At the same time, Billy seemed to be leaning into the many different vocal affectations more often than usual.
The concert itself is a great performance, with the band augmented by a horn section and a guest star and a baby on the way. But in particular, it’s an excellent showcase for Billy’s so-called rubber voice.
Join us, as we dig deep into Billy Joel at Wembley Arena in 1984.
Date: June 8, 1984
City/Country: London, England
Venue: Wembley Arena
- Billy Joel - Vocals, Piano, Keyboards, Guitar
- Liberty DeVitto - Drums
- Doug Stegmeyer - Bass, Vocals
- David Brown - Lead Guitar
- Russell Javors - Rhythm Guitar, Vocals
- Mark Rivera - Saxophone, Percussion, Vocals
- David Lebolt - Keyboards
- Peter Hewlett - Vocals
- Frank Simms - Vocals
- Larry Etkin, Glen Stulpin, Bob Livingood - Horns
- Prelude / Angry Young Man
- My Life
- Piano Man
- Don't Ask Me Why
- Goodnight Saigon
- Leave A Tender Moment Alone
- An Innocent Man
- The Longest Time
- This Night
- Just The Way You Are
- Scenes From An Italian Restaurant
- Sometimes A Fantasy
- It's Still Rock And Roll To Me
- Uptown Girl
- Big Shot
- Tell Her About It
- You May Be Right
- Only The Good Die Young
Email us: email@example.com
Glass Houses - A Billy Joel Podcast on the web / social media:
- Website: http://www.glasshousespod.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/glasshousespodcast/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/glasshousespod/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/glasshousespod
- Discord: https://discord.gg/6G6cMRFu7T
Support the podcast:
- Paypal: https://paypal.me/glasshousespod
- Venmo: @MGrosvenor
Produced by Michael Grosvenor & Jack Firneno for Groove Music Marketing