Aniruddha Sharma, Carbon Clean Solutions
Archived series ("Inactive feed" status)
When? This feed was archived on May 24, 2023 23:07 (). Last successful fetch was on October 13, 2022 21:04 ()
Why? Inactive feed status. Our servers were unable to retrieve a valid podcast feed for a sustained period.
What now? You might be able to find a more up-to-date version using the search function. This series will no longer be checked for updates. If you believe this to be in error, please check if the publisher's feed link below is valid and contact support to request the feed be restored or if you have any other concerns about this.
Manage episode 330605729 series 3352184
Carbon capture, utilisation and storage (CCUS) technologies trap CO2 before it can be emitted to the atmosphere, and stop it from contributing to climate change. The captured CO2 is typically sent to a safe and permanent repository, deep underground, but could potentially also be used in industrial processes that bind the carbon into materials. While there are good examples of successful and large CCUS projects around the world, the sector has to date suffered from a perception of high costs, very large public funding requirements and few incentives to radically cut emissions in sectors like cement production, refining or coal-fired power generation. Carbon Clean is an unusual player in the CCUS space: not only do its founders hail from an emerging economy like India, but they are a relative outsider compared to the major energy companies that otherwise dominate investments. In this episode, Aniruddha Sharma explains how Carbon Clean’s technology tackles the CCUS cost problem and how they aim to lower the barriers to investment for emitters at all scales. Since the recording of this episode in November 2021, Carbon Clean has gone on to raise a major fundraising round and be selected for the Global Cleantech 100 list. Whether you calculate that we need seven billion tonnes of CCUS by 2050 (as the IEA does) or less than one billion tonnes, we urgently need the conditions for companies to start making money from locking up emissions.
- Carbon Clean Solutions Ltd: https://www.carbonclean.com/
- Carbon capture, utilisation and storage at the IEA: https://www.iea.org/fuels-and-technologies/carbon-capture-utilisation-and-storage
- Net Zero by 2050, IEA 2021: https://www.iea.org/reports/net-zero-by-2050
- ETP Clean Energy Technology Guide, IEA 2021: https://www.iea.org/articles/etp-clean-energy-technology-guide
- Carbon capture in 2021: Off and running or another false start?, IEA 2021https://www.iea.org/commentaries/carbon-capture-in-2021-off-and-running-or-another-false-start
- Carbon Clean raises $150m in record carbon capture funding round https://www.carbonclean.com/media-center/news/raises-150m-in-record-carbon-capture-funding-round
- The 2022 Global Cleantech 100: https://www.cleantech.com/the-global-cleantech-100/
- India Energy Outlook 2021: https://www.iea.org/reports/india-energy-outlook-2021
This episode is hosted by Siddharth Singh and Simon Bennett. It was produced by Rakesh Kamal (Suno India) and Mariam Aliabadi. Additional production help was provided by Rob Stone and Allison Leacu.