This series is archived ("HTTP Redirect" status)Please note series archiving is a new, experimental, feature of Player FM with the aim of helping users understand how we fetch series and report on any issues.
Replaced by: schweidandsons.com
When? This feed was archived on February 21, 2017 16:27 (). Last successful fetch was on February 15, 2017 12:54 ()
Why? HTTP Redirect status. The feed permanently redirected to another series.
What now? If you were subscribed to this series when it was replaced, you will now be subscribed to the replacement series. This series will no longer be checked for updates. If you believe this to be in error, please check if the publisher's feed link below is valid and contact support to request the feed be restored or if you have any other concerns about this.
Manage episode 159360020 series 1134107
The Truth About GMOs, Farming and Monsanto
Janice Person works at Monsanto on their corporate engagement team. Her job duties include outreach for both agriculture and regular folks like you. She works with farmers, foodies, and bloggers on a wide range of topics all that relate back in someway to farming. Her primary function is to help people better understanding agriculture. Janice is one of the founders of the farmer-led AgChat Foundation which seeks to empower farmers to tell their stories online and remains active with the organization’s programs.
Debbie Lyons-Blythe is a cattle rancher in Kansas. She and her husband raise Angus cattle for breeding, as well as harvest hay, wheat, corn, alfalfa and soybeans on Blythe Family Farms, their family-owned ranch. It has been in the Blythe family since 1890. Some of their cattle does go on to be graded as Certified Angus Beef®. They have 5 grown kids who are also part owners in the farm. In her spare time from raising cattle, Debbie also pens a blog called KidsCowsandGrass.com, where she connects with consumers to answer questions about how beef is raised in the great country of America. She was named the America’s Farmers Mom of the Year in 2012 and is also a founding member of the US Roundtable for Sustainable Beef.
ABOUT THE SHOW
Like Bite & Share is a podcast about marketing in the food business, brought to you by Schweid & Sons. Each episode includes an insightful interview with food marketing professionals.
- A Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) is an organism that was genetically altered using traits from other organisms
- A lack of science education leads to a lot of fear amongst consumers who don’t understand what GMOs are and put untrue stigma on them
- Monsanto employees dietitians and other food professionals to help inform businesses and the public on food education. Educating the public is becoming a much bigger priority for Monsanto than in the past when it was more focused on B2B education
- Land and water use are incredibly important to farmers. On the American West Coast, that concern is very apparent. Agriculture innovation empowers farmers and provides tools to making more from less land and water
- USDA Certified Organic labeled foods are GMO free. The most common GMOs are soy, cotton, canola, corn, sugar beets, Hawaiian papaya, alfalfa, and squash
- The use of pesticides allows for higher efficiency farming and no-till farming, which allows the soil to remain undisturbed from season to season
- On the downside, pesticides are expensive and they aren’t foolproof
- GPS information allows even greater efficiency, greater price saving, and fewer pesticides in farming, as well as better data for farming from year to year
- Engaging with bloggers, influencers and customer stakeholders in the agriculture industry has helped the Monsanto company culture to be different, and has been more fruitful than throwing money at advertising for the brand
- Many companies provide training and education for farmers, including Beef Checkoff
Links Mentioned in this Episode:
- Monsanto competitors that have stake in other biosciences: Syngenta, DuPont Pioneer, BASF, Dow AgroSciences, Bayer
- The Rainbow Plate
- Beef Checkoff – Beef Advocacy Program
- Certified Angus Beef
Learn more about Janice Person & Monsanto:
Learn more about Debbie Lyons-Blythe:
Love the podcast? Subscribe to get new episodes delivered straight to your inbox every week!
19 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 38 mins duration .