Manage episode 299798843 series 2907651
Well... Let's not quite call it corrupting. Let's call it teaching. And, in this episode, we are delighted to welcome Daniel McCrea as our special guest, who takes us on an exciting journey through the world of teaching philosophy to children.
Main Talking Points
- Why children should care about philosophy
- How philosophy helps children develop
- Getting philosophy into the education cycle in Ireland and bringing it to a younger audience
- How philosophy can transform how teachers engage with their students
- The Irish school curriculum, the junior cert and the leaving cert
- Philosophy and parenting
- The upcoming "GADFLY" event, which Daniel created for Irish Philosophy educators
- We cover a lot of philosophers and their ideas along the way
About Daniel McCrea
Daniel is the creator of www.philosophyshortcourse.com, a FREE resources website for Irish philosophy teachers and the event "GADFLY".
He holds a B.A. and M.A. in Philosophy and regularly teaches philosophy at Gonzaga College SJ secondary school in South Dublin.
He has trained in teaching philosophy with Marelle Rice, Peter Worley and Educate Together and facilitates public Philosophy events for "The Philosophers Hat" and "Socrates Cafe"
His mission is to make teaching philosophy the best job in Ireland.
Save a Child From Malaria
If you care about children beyond your borders, along with their carers, please donate whatever you can afford to provide a life-saving mosquito net to someone who really needs it at http://www.againstmalaria.com/thephilosophists
Follow the show on Twitter at @philosophistpod
- Daniel McCrea and his projects
- Learn more about the philosophy behind The Matrix in this Two Philosophers Drink Beer & Discuss Film podcast episode
- You can follow @thephilosophists on Instagram or on Facebook
- You can follow Declan at @theirishpenguin; Simon's keeping a low profile :-)
- Just be glad we don't have a TikTok!
- Show website at https://www.thephilosophists.com (rss feed)