Manage episode 234285849 series 1397697
From starting out as eye protection against snow blindness to helping pilots navigate the skies without being blinded by the sun, the subject of today’s episode not only protects your eyes but has also been a staple of fashion for centuries, as it turns out.
You’re listening to The Story Behind: The Extraordinary History of the Ordinary. I’m your host, Emily Prokop, and this is The Story Behind Sunglasses. Let's get social!
- The Story Behind Discussion Group: TheStoryBehindPodcast.com/Facebook-Group
- The Story Behind Facebook Page: TheStoryBehindPodcast.com/Facebook-Page
- The Story Behind on Instagram: TheStoryBehindPodcast.com/Instagram
- The Story Behind on Twitter: TheStoryBehindPodcast.com/Twitter
- $1 Patreon Executive Producers — Extra monthly episode and thank you on an upcoming episode of The Story Behind.
- $5 Patreon Executive Producers — Benefits of $1 Executive Producers + Access to the MUSE series as it unfolds.
- Click to Support: TheStoryBehindPodcast.com/Patreon
- Origins and History of Sunglasses - GlassesHistory.com
- Who Made Those Aviator Sunglasses? - The New York Times
- A Brief History of Sunglasses - SunglassMuseum.com
- The Evolution of Sunglasses - Google Arts & Culture
- Foster Grant Our Story! - Foster Grant
- The 15 Most Iconic Sunglasses of all Time - The Idle Man
- The Fabulous History Of Sunglasses & Their Trends In 25 Pics - The Talko
- Sunglasses: A History of Protective, Stylish, and Popular Eyewear - Ancient-Origins.org
- The most famous sunglasses in cinema history - Vogue
- A Brief History of Eclipse Glasses and the People Who Forgot to Wear Them - Slate
- How long does it take before your eyes get damaged when looking at the sun? - Scienceline - UCSB
- Shades at the Table: The Great Debate - Poker News
- Why You (Now) Look Stupid Wearing Sunglasses at the Poker Table - Poker Junkie
- 11 Things You Didn't Know About Ray-Ban - Thrillist
- Solar eclipse and your eyes: How to view an eclipse safely - All About Vision