Manage episode 190849922 series 30325
What do MBA applicants need to know about MBA careers in venture capital?
Darren invites his friend Garrett to share his experience, both as an MBA student looking to break into venture capital and as an interviewer for Hewlett Packard Ventures.
Garret has worked in venture capital and related jobs in San Francisco for 7 years – don’t miss his hard-earned insights into the industry!
This is Part 3 of our MBA Career Series. Looking for more career-related podcasts? Click here.
- Garrett’s background (4:50 )
- What do venture capitalists do? (9:56)
- What work background & experience are venture capital (VC) firms looking for? (17:00)
- The importance of networking to break into the industry (20:39 )
- How helpful are business school reputations and rankings in recruiting (23:40)
- Common entry points into VC as an MBA? (25:34)
- The (lack of a) recruiting process in VC (26:10)
- How VC’s and startups perceive MBAs (28:50)
- Interviewing with VCs - what you need to know (32:21)
- Traits of successful VCs (35:38)
- Best part of job? Worst part of job? (38:12)
- Venture capital opportunities for international MBAs in US (44:42)?
- Garrett’s recommended resources (48:47)
- Garrett’s final thoughts on succeeding in venture capital (50:07)
- Business school geography and venture capital (52:46)
About Our Guest
After graduating from UCLA with a degree in Electrical Engineering, Garrett Wong worked 3 years as an investment banker at Wachovia and UBS, and then 2 years as a corporate development associate at Cisco, where he evaluated venture capital investments in clean tech and technology. After getting his MBA from Wharton, Garrett worked in a number of PE, VC and product management roles before joining Hewlett Packard Ventures.
Episode summary, show notes and more at: http://touchmba.com/mba-careers-venture-capital
Ranked among the top public universities in the US, The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business provides an outstanding MBA experience tailored to your interests and leadership development.
Whether switching careers, enhancing a career or starting a business, an MBA from Fisher provides tomorrow’s leaders with the knowledge and skills to succeed today.
Visit fisher.osu.edu to learn more about Fisher’s personalized MBA program and competitive scholarship opportunities.
122 episodes available. A new episode about every 19 days averaging 39 mins duration .