Manage episode 244031314 series 2355587
The live interviews from TWIMLcon continue with Hussein Mehanna, Head of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence at Cruise. From his start at Facebook and then Google and now to Cruise, leading the trend of autonomous vehicles, Hussein has seen first hand what it takes to scale and sustain machine learning programs. In this episode, hear him and Sam discuss:
- At Facebook, a few early wins in the realm of infrastructure building set the stage for scaling via faster algorithms and soon the entire Facebook organization could achieve a new level of ML scaling with all workflows shareable, reusable and discoverable through a search interface
- Cruise’s unique focus on the interplay between applied research problems and the underlying tools and platforms
- The immense capacity that the industry of autonomous vehicles has to push ML and AI to new limits of depth and scale
- The challenges (and joys) of working in the industry and his insight into analyzing scale when innovation is happening in parallel with the development
- Hussein’s experiences at Facebook, Google, and Cruise, along with his thoughts on productivity being a "usability" vs "modeling" challenge and his prediction for the future of ML platforms!
The complete show notes can be found at twimlai.com/talk/306.