Manage episode 212815189 series 1958140
Part 1 in a series on Jesus and gender: Nate and Tim discuss some prerequisites to looking at New Testament texts pertaining to gender. Jesus explicitly taught that his disciples were to follow his example and abandon all sense of status, power and hierarchy. This was Christianity 101 to the apostles and early church and therefore any interpretation of the gender passages that today seem so offensive to women must acknowledge this overarching Christian ethic. If Jesus said there weren’t even supposed to be positions of status in the church, and Paul believed every Christian was to lay down their power over others, how could the New Testament possibly “teach” that men are supposed to have authority and women are supposed to submit?
Want to help support this work?
- If you'd like to donate, you can do that here. (Even just $1/month helps a TON!)
- Get occasional email updates here!
- Leave a review on iTunes.
- Share an episode with a friend. :)
Music: Cale Haugen
- Paul and Gender: Reclaiming the Apostle's Vision for Men and Women in Christ by Cynthia Long Westfall (Go get this book!)
- Matt. 18:2-5, 20:17-28, 23:8-12
- Mk. 9:34-35, 10:35-45
- Lk. 1:52-53, 14:7-13, 22:24-30
- 1 Cor. 9:18
- 1 Pet. 5:1-6
65 episodes available. A new episode about every 8 days averaging 53 mins duration .