Manage episode 192995972 series 32120
On the show this week we have Michael Gonchar of the New York Times Learning Network and Sharon Hessney of the American Statistical Association to talk about the New York Times’s project, “What’s Going On In This Graph?”
The project aims to improve students’ visual literacy by analyzing a specific chart and participating in online discussions. Each month the New York Times publishes a new chart and ask students to discuss it by answering a series of questions: What do you notice? What do you wonder? Are there items you notice that answer what you wonder? Where could you find the answers to what you wonder?
On the show we talk about how the project was born, how students participate in the process, what they learn, and our guests’ plans for the future of the series.
We strongly encourage you to participate! It’s fun and useful!
Enjoy the show!
[If you enjoy Data Stories, consider supporting us on Patreon. The show is now fully funded by our listeners!]
- New York Times Learning Network
- New York Times’s What’s Going On In This Graph?
- New York Times’s What’s Going On In This Picture?
- The 3 graphs published so far:
- HelpMeViz w/ Jon Schwabish
- Data Visualization Literacy with Jeremy Boy, Helen Kennedy and Andy Kirk
- Re-designing Visualizations on #MakeoverMonday with Andy Kriebel and Andy Cotgreave
- Calling Bullshit with Carl Bergstrom and Jevin West
- Visualization Literacy in Elementary School with Basak Alper and Nathalie Riche
1. Welcome back to Data Stories! (00:00:24)
2. An exciting announcement: we are now officially crowd-funded! (00:00:50)
3. Introducing today's show on data literacy (00:01:28)
4. Michael Gonchar introduces the New York Times' Learning Network (00:03:18)
5. Sharon Hessney (00:03:44)
6. "What's Going On In This Graph?" (00:04:04)
7. Past examples from "What's Going On In This Graph?" (00:09:51)
8. Reactions from students (00:13:03)
9. The big reveal on Fridays (00:18:01)
10. The moderated conversation on the New York Times (00:21:53)
11. Related episodes (00:31:53)
143 episodes available. A new episode about every 17 days averaging 46 mins duration .