Manage episode 223481654 series 92743
Learn about the “science of generosity” and why a giving spirit helps us through even the most difficult times.
I learned to practice generosity from both of my parents at a young age and those experiences have shaped how I’ve lived my life. I’ll share some stories and talk about important research on generosity compiled by the Greater Good Science Center, including the benefits of giving to others no matter what we are facing in our personal lives.
Link to The Science of Generosity (white paper from GGSC)https://lessonsfromdying.files.wordpress.com/2018/12/PodcastGenerosityED.mp3
A heartfelt THANK YOU to all of my patrons on Patreon.com/eolu! I greatly appreciate your support and it makes all the difference to me!
Sign up here for A Year of Reading Dangerously online reading group for 2019 and join us to read one book a month on death, dying and the afterlife. Download the reading list below:
Everything I know about generosity today I learned from my parents who grew up during the depression and mastered the art of giving to others in life-changing ways.
They showed me that it’s possible to be generous even during times of suffering–a lesson that was repeatedly demonstrated during the devastating November fires in Northern and Southern California this year.
Far from being frivolous or superfluous, human generosity might be deeply embedded in human behavior and play a vital role in our personal well-being and survival as a species. – Greater Good Science Center
This discussion includes:
- The story of Dad’s winter coat
- How Dad changed lives one broken-down car at a time
- The story of Boris, his paintings and my Mom
- Research findings from the Greater Good Science Center white paper “The Science of Generosity”
- We are wired for generosity
- Generosity is contagious
- The value of role-models for generosity
- The physical and emotional benefits of giving
- How money can buy happiness
- Generosity as a buffer for stress during difficult times
Wishing you the happiness of giving during this holiday season!
Links mentioned in this episode:
- A Year of Reading Dangerously
- Ep. 168: Finding Compassion in Times of Suffering
- Ep. 169: Finding Gratitude in Times of Suffering
- Greater Good Science Center
Tune in next week for a new episode! If you enjoy this content please share with a friend and consider leaving a review on iTunes.
Until then …
202 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days .