Manage episode 302385094 series 2932321
A major issue plaguing spinal cord injury patients and the medical field as a whole is polypharmacy and the over-prescribing of pharmaceuticals. It’s a complicated problem without a “one-size-fits-all” solution. On this episode, I’m joined by Dr. Sara Guilcher to discuss the impact and risks of polypharmacy as well as some of the ways physicians can help tackle the problem and increase the quality of care for patients with a potential need for multiple medications.
You will want to hear this episode if you are interested in...
- Defining polypharmacy [2:06]
- The impact and risks of polypharmacy [5:48]
- The role of pain in polypharmacy [11:00]
- Examining the complexities of the polypharmacy problem [13:49]
- Polypharmacy as a systemic patient safety issue [22:46]
- Dr. Guilcher’s five steps to prevent polypharmacy [27:15]
Resources & People Mentioned
Connect with Dr. Sara Guilcher
Connect With Maxwell Boakye
- Like on Facebook
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow on LinkedIn
- DrMaxBoakye (at) Gmail.com