Manage episode 230594754 series 1401626
This week, we answer listener questions, including how to transition from engineering to product design, how to wrap up before moving to a new company, and what we think of apps that allow you to change the launch icon. In Follow-up, we read some listener feedback about last episode, and Marshall fills in a couple details on his file organization tips. In News, we lament the untimely death of AirPower (rip rip). And as always, we share a couple cool things like a sci-fi movie and a sci-fi book trilogy.
This week's episode is brought to you by Abstract
Abstract is design workflow management for modern design teams. With Abstract, you can bring your design workflow into a single, unified place for designers, developers, and stakeholders to collaborate and keep work moving forward. Sign your team up for a free, 30-day trial today by heading over to abstract.com. And if you tweet at @goabstract and @designdetailsfm, with the phrase “improve my design workflow” you’ll be entered for a chance to win a $500 credit to their Business plan.
- We had some good feedback from our last episode about design file hygiene:
- Cal Rowston noticed a few gems among all the babbling
- Tim Bendt could listen to layer organization tips forever (which is a totally normal thing btw)
- Katherine's heart was warmed by Marshall's obsessive compulsions
- Ryan Hayen wants to start a layer organization OCD support group
- Anthony Collurafici pointed us to a Medium article by Andy Detskas that explains how to organize your artboards with serialization
- Marshall adds a couple details to his file organization tips:
- Layer Tools has a couple especially useful renaming actions: "Find and Replace..." and "Prepend/Append to Selected Layer Names..."
- In addition to "thinking in divs," try to order the layers and groups in your Layer List just as they appear in the mock, from top-left to bottom-right
- Keyboard Maestro is a super-powered macro utility for Mac
- ICYMI, here's the Sketch file for Marshall's unsolicited NYT Crossword app redesign that he shared last episode as an example of maniacal file organizational
- AirPower has been cancelled:
- Video: Phil Schiller announces the AirPower charging mat
- Article: Apple cancels AirPower wireless charger
- Article: "Apple's Phil Schiller explains why the white iPhone 4 took so long"
- AirPower is pictured on the new AirPods packaging
- Video: "The Death of Airpower: Explained!"
- Sofia F asks what we think about apps like Streaks that offer different launch icons
- We love it! Here are some other apps we use that do this:
- Anonymous asks what we think about transitioning from Engineering to Product Design
- Do some side projects or case studies to beef up your portfolio and gain some experience
- Sit with your fellow product designers and offer to help wherever needed
- Anonymous asks about transitioning to a new company
- Leave your active projects in good shape, either finishing them yourself or handing them off to an informed successor
- If you've already gotten an offer, they're probably gonna be cool with you wrapping up your active projects before transitioning
One Cool Thing:
- Brian shared Prospect, a sci-fi movie about "a teenage girl and her father who travel to a remote alien moon, aiming to strike it rich"
- Pedro Pascal
- Sophie Thatcher
- Andre Royo
- The Wire is a show about the Baltimore drug scene, seen through the eyes of drug dealers and law enforcement
- Marshall shared We Are Legion (We Are Bob), the first book in a sci-fi trilogy about a software engineer who unwittingly becomes an AI and humanity's last hope for survival
- Ready Player One has a similar tone but tries a little too hard
Design Details on the Web:
- We are @designdetailsfm
- Join the conversation on Spectrum or leave us a review on iTunes
299 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 54 mins duration .