Manage episode 179161773 series 1394059
In which we discuss,
1. ”An Account of the Decline of the Great Auk According to One Who Saw It” by Jessie Greengrass, 2015.
along with, among other things...
- A review of An Account Of The Decline Of The Great Auk, According To One Who Saw It, Rachel Hore, The Independent.
- The short story, Going to Meet the Man, from the Black Lives Matter syllabus.
- A review of Going to Meet the Man, Stanley Kauffman, New York Times, 1965.
The Vanishing State of Things
- Millions of Missing Birds, Vanishing in Plain Sight by Verlyn Klinkenborg, New York Times, 2007.
- Another Country: James Baldwin’s flight from America by Claudia Roth Pierpont, New Yorker, 2009.
The Harlem Day
- The Harlem Renaissance.
- Teaching the Controversy: James Baldwin and Richard Wright in the Ferguson Era
- The Times Obituary for James Baldwin
You want to write a sentence as clean as a bone. That is the goal.
Some Other Art Objects Which We Discussed While Discussing These Art Objects
- Swing Time, as reviewed by Roger Ebert.
- (500) Days of Summer, as reviewed here, also, by Roger Ebert. I miss that man.
- Fight Club, as reviewed by Nathan Rabin.
If you enjoyed this episode, please consider leaving us a review on iTunes. It helps more readers find their way to our sound space.
Thanks for listening.