Manage episode 215367805 series 1770904
Ryan Daniel Moran was a preacher-in-training turned entrepreneur. He moved to Austin with little to nothing to his him name, and launched Amazon businesses that he eventually sold for over 8 figures. Ryan did us all a solid – really – by documenting and sharing his journey. The Freedom Fast Lane Podcast helps entrepreneurs at every stage of their business, from startup to exit.
In this interview, Ryan shares his top three “mistakes”, or as discussed, things he wishes he did differently as he looks back. He openly shares his story and journey, in the hopes that other entrepreneurs do things to maximize the value of their business (and life).
Through Ryan’s conference, Capitalism.com, he helps bring like minded entrepreneurs and experts in the ecommerce space together to build brands and businesses that last.
While he may be a preacher-school-dropout, Ryan still has a way of delivering the goods when it comes to advocating doing the right thing…so good things follow.
- [1:25] Who is Ryan Daniel Moran?
- [4:38] Is it better to buy or build?
- [6:43] Ryan thinks we’re in a “seller’s market”
- [8:05] What are Ryan’s “mistakes” and what would he do differently.
- [11:30] Does it matter if you like your buyer? Does likability matter?
- [13:52] The likable buyer story…who won out over an all cash buyer.
- [15:12] Mistake # 1 – playing the short term.
- [17:25] Mistake #2 – telling people what to do and diminishing their talent.
- [18:51] Ryan shares his staffing team numbers. Inhouse and remote.
- [20:06] Mistake #3 – Ryan wishes he spent more money on advertising, customer acquisition, and brand building.
- [22:51] Why is a 100% Amazon business worth less than a Shopify store?
- [24:00] What channels would Ryan expand to – beyond Amazon.com
- [25:30] The first “nut you have to crack”
- [27:02] Ryan disagrees with Joe!
- [30:40] Brands last, product businesses don’t.
- [31:06] Should you be thinking about a possible exit at all times?
- [33:05] What gives Ryan the “goosies”. Ok…he didn’t say goosies, that was JLo.
- [33:58] Know what you will do with your money before you sell!
- [36:10] Should you plan your next brand before you sell, or stay focused?
- [39:29] How do you get more Ryan Daniel Moran
Mark: So if I could go back in time I would do a number of things different than I did in my entrepreneurial past especially before I sold my first company. And I have told you the story before that when I sold my first company I sold it for $165,000 only to find out that a year later the same person who bought the company got an offer for 350,000 without changing anything about the business at all. So … and there’s a lot of regrets I have by not going back in time obviously I think anybody would like to have that ability.
Joe: I’m glad it’s that instead of saying you’re bringing me on as a business partner.
Mark: Well, you’re here so I can’t … I might not say that to your face. Only when you’re on vacation and I have somebody else filling in as guest host.
Joe: Well, Jason doesn’t listen to the podcast, let’s talk about him.
Mark: Right. Exactly.
Joe: Conversation … no regrets there. Yes and Daniel Ryan Moran was our guest and he talked about some of the regrets or as we called the mistakes because that’s how he learns in life as many of us do by making mistakes and in trying not to make them over again. Fascinating … fascinating yes they’re our podcast today Mark. I don’t know if you recall … if you were ther
90 episodes available. A new episode about every 0 hours averaging 38 mins duration .