Manage episode 281279221 series 2078492
Welcome to What to Read Next Podcast! Today I have a solo show to share with you. I have a few fun announcements such as the show going on hiatus, a bit of what we are doing on Patreon and then I dive into my 2020 Reading Life and about my 2021 Reading Intentions.
MY 2020 READING LIFE
As I start to look back at what a year it was, I ended up reading more books this year than 2019. However I read more novellas hence the larger number. I struggled at the beginning of the year to find my footing, then between April -August i was reading mostly for the podcast. Back in September, I gave myself permission to read whatever I wanted.
A few fun discoveries…
Audiobooks! My sweet spot is 8 to 9 hours for audiobooks. I tend to have good luck with YA and some short romances. Long audiobooks feel like a drag unless it’s Virgin River.
Indie Books/KU - For the past couple of years I have been reading exclusively traditionally published books and it was fine but not as satisfying as reading an indie book. There are risks that indie authors take that I don’t see in traditionally published books.
Scribd Subscription- This fall I started to use my Scribd subscription to catch up with ARCs via audiobooks. The algorithm is a hit or miss but overall it’s been a pleasant experience. I canceled this subscription in January 2021.
Category Romance Books- This is the year that i discovered Category romance as a way to reach my goals while discovering diverse authors.
Using my libraries more - For category romance and books that I may not have an ARC I have used my library to get kindle and audiobooks.
What are my intentions for 2021?
- I want to read 300 books in 2021 which means about 25 books a month.
- I want my friends to pick what i read next. I will be asking my Patreon community, fellow book twins for recommendations.
- I want to request less ARCs. I have about 80 ARCs in my queue to be read and to be honest for 2021 my goal is to read them all while avoiding requesting or downloading books
- I want to listen to more audiobooks while at work
- I want to read at least 4 KU books each month
- Go back and read Sweet Valley High or Babysitters Club book.
- I want to read more diversely
- My 2021 Paranormal project
- I don’t want to request any physical books as I want to remove the clutter in my house.
- Get rid of ARCs via little free libraries and perhaps sell books on Facebook
Series I want to start or finish:
- Virgin River by Robyn Carr - I have to read book #10 - https://amzn.to/2WNHBKz
- Bridgerton by Julia Quinn - I have book 8 to read - https://amzn.to/38zqnGm
- Psy-changeling by Nalini Singh https://amzn.to/38TpGYP
- Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh https://amzn.to/2MfwWXj
- Argeneau Series by Lynsay Sands https://amzn.to/3nSSt63
- Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward https://amzn.to/3nX5JGD
- Heartbreaker Bay series by Jill Shalvis https://amzn.to/3hkgmAX
- Malory Series by Johanna Lindsey - https://amzn.to/38ESxQf
PODCAST EPISODE MENTIONED
Please note, the podcast will be going on a short two months break this January and February, 2021. We will return with brand new episodes on March 1, 2020. I will be releasing new episodes on the Patreon feed while the show is on hiatus.
SUPPORT THE WHAT TO READ NEXT PODCAST!
If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends
Get weekly romance recommendations, early access to author interviews, monthly meetups and exclusive Patreon audio series by joining the Patreon community.
ETSY SHOP ALERT- QUEEN BEE READS
Romance lovers: check out Queen Bee Reads Etsy Shop for cute & comfortable bookish apparel! The shop also features social justice apparel and fun items from some of your favorite TV shows like Schitt’s Creek & The Office. Items are designed and made by Megan of @queenbee_reads. Use code: WHATTOREAD10 to save! http://www.whattoreadnextblog.com/queenbeereads
FROLIC PODCAST NETWORK
What to Read Next Podcast is part of the Frolic Podcast Network. You can find more outstanding podcasts to subscribe to at Frolic.media/podcasts!
If you purchase a book through my Amazon or Bookshop link, I will receive a commission at no cost to you that will help cover the cost of the podcast
CONNECT WITH LAURA YAMIN WhattoReadNextBlog.com