Manage episode 219885443 series 2135788
Grandmaster of Memory Mattias Ribbing joins us today. He is an author, educator, and 3-time Swedish champion of memory sport. He’s also become a Grandmaster of Memory internationally. Mattias sits down for a conversation about mnemonics, biohacking, self-improvement, minimalism, and his thoughts on improving the school system.
The first half of the episode is about learning and the human brain:
- How to think in pictures (the way the brain processes information fastest)
- The benefits of thinking pictorially (“give your brain folders”)
- How to learn a new area fast
- What to do when studying and feeling confused
- How to go from big picture to granular details
- How to become fluent in languages—and why we teach languages inefficiently in school
Here are the questions asked during the second half, about the school system:
- Are we being dumbed down?
- What does the new school system look like?
- Should we improve upon the existing one by making modifications, or should we do away with it and create a new one from scratch?
- What makes Mattias optimistic about the future?
- Which skills will become more valuable (or hard to replace) in the future?
Please enjoy this conversation with Mattias.
Also, watch his TED talk about memory techniques here.
*Join our newsletter for weekly summaries of the episodes.
*Apply for the Future Skills Program