Manage episode 189596601 series 1329295
A straw man, a Scotsman, and literally Hitler walk into a bar. Is it a joke (punchline: something something “unnatural”), or are they our top picks for the finest logical fallacies?
Disclaimer: These fallacies are for educational purposes only. Please do not use them at home.
More Important Disclaimer: This episode has nothing to do with Harry Potter or Newt Scamander.
This episode is brought to you by Audible. Visit audibletrial.com/betterworlds to choose one free audiobook out of an available fifteen thousand dozen.
Follow-up & Mini-topics
- AT-AT deployment
- Planet killers, Starkillers, and First Order budget woes
- Snoke’s super duper star destroyer and Standard Cretaceous Asteroids (SCA)
- Field Museum dinosaur shuffle: Titanosaur coming, SUE on the move (Shared with us in Slack by Listener Curtis)
- Dinosaur Comic #3043 (Oct 7, 2016) re: Celsius
- Relevant XKCD: 1643: Degrees
- The Witness
- This week in Destiny
Main Topic: Logical Fallacies
- Straw man
- No True Scotsman
- Ad hominem
- Argument from Nature (mainly the Naturalistic fallacy, but also a bit of Appeal to nature)
- Post hoc ergo propter hoc (X happened, then Y happened, therefore X caused Y)
- McNamara fallacy
- Argument from fallacy
- List of fallacies
Where to find Better Worlds online:
Some links contain affiliate codes that will provide a small kickback to the show if you make a purchase. Thanks for listening, and thanks for your support.
23 episodes available. A new episode about every 14 days averaging 94 mins duration .