365: Ret. Navy SEAL Jocko Willink on Embracing Discomfort and Leading through Extreme Ownership (+ His Real Estate Investing Tips!)
Manage episode 250421980 series 83575
Decorated Navy SEAL commander. Author. Podcaster. And house hacker?!
Yes, Jocko Willink invests in real estate and shares some great tips… but that's not the only reason he's on the show today. And it's not the only reason why he's sure to be one of our most popular guests to date.
You see, Jocko looks at life's challenges differently. And after hearing his message, you might, too.
Contractor rip you off? Good. Rental property flooded? Good. Spent a bunch of money and never found a deal? GOOD!
Now you can learn something about yourself. You can get tougher. You can improve.
That's the worldview Jocko outlines in his No. 1 New York Times bestseller Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win.
Today, we dive deep into how to apply this mindset to your business. PLUS, we discuss Jocko's philosophy on leading teams, managing risk, harnessing your ego, and foregoing comfort in pursuit of long-term goals like financial freedom.
You'll also love getting to know Jocko the real estate investor!
From buying a hoarder house filled with chicken bones to dividing his kids' bedrooms into "prison cell"-sized sleeping quarters, Jocko discusses how some sacrifice goes a long way toward creating financial freedom—even on a modest military salary.
Beware: by the end of this show, you might just be staring down your fears and greeting your biggest obstacles head-on with the word "good."
In This Episode We Cover:
- What “extreme ownership” is and how it applies to real estate investing
- Fixing up creepy, run-down houses in Southern California in his 20s
- Why Jocko recommends house hacking for men and women in the military
- How joining the Navy gave him purpose
- His approach to Navy SEAL BUD/S training
- The lessons he learned from the Great Recession—even though it didn’t personally affect his finances
- Avoiding "lifestyle creep"
- Considering the worst case scenario before taking risks
- How to harness your ego for good
- What he says when people push back against the idea of extreme ownership
- Why he writes books for kids (and why some adults like those books best)
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
Click here to check the full notes: http://biggerpockets.com/show365