Manage episode 217625728 series 32120
We have Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic on the show to talk about her work in visual storytelling. Cole is an educator, blogger, freelancer and author of Storytelling with Data, a successful data visualization book about effectively presenting data through visualization.
We talk about how Cole got her start in visualization through her former job at Google, how she created her business, the story behind her book, and many of her other activities (including her great podcast!).
The episode is full of useful tips, especially for those of you who are thinking of becoming a vis-oriented business-owner or freelancer.
Enjoy the show!
- Enrico’s Free Information Visualization Specialization on Coursera
- Storytelling with Data
- Cole’s book, Storytelling With Data
- The Storytelling with Data Challenge
- Cole’s Storytelling with Data podcast
1. Welcome to Data Stories! (00:00:26)
2. Data Stories is listener-supported: please consider supporting us! (00:00:52)
3. Updates from Enrico and Moritz: Enrico is offering a new Information Visualization Specialization on Coursera! (00:01:41)
4. Data Stories will be in Berlin on October 22 for Information+ and IEEE Vis'18 (00:03:35)
5. Introducing this week's guest: Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic of Storytelling with Data! (00:04:17)
6. How Cole went about designing her own data viz book, Storytelling with Data (00:14:55)
7. The role of new storytelling formats like animations, interactivity and gifs (00:18:09)
8. On dashboards (00:21:53)
9. The Storytelling with Data Challenge (00:25:27)
10. Cole's Storytelling with Data podcast (00:29:08)
11. Advice for data visualization practitioners: don't be intimidated and get feedback! (00:31:34)
12. Get in touch with us and support us on Patreon (00:33:41)
142 episodes available. A new episode about every 17 days averaging 46 mins duration .