Manage episode 238562232 series 1208978
Today, I would like to talk to you about “self-limiting beliefs”. Most folks aren’t familiar with this terribly important concept, so I’m going to deconstruct it, tell you how it works against us, and also how we can stop doing it to ourselves.
I’d like you to know that many of the topics I discuss on this podcast are topics that are close to my heart; issues that I have personally struggled with and I’m walking the path along with you.
Journey with me as we explore the beliefs that hold us back, and how to implement those steps that can get us on the other side of fear, so that we can realize our goals.
- Self-limiting beliefs are something that we impose on ourselves but has intensified due to our environment.
- During our lifetime, we can sometimes shift from having realistic expectations to having self-doubt and fear, so that we start creating obstacles for ourselves.
- We limit ourselves based on our beliefs in our abilities that are not based on factual information.
- Beware of language that reinforces the belief that we can’t move past a certain obstacle (“Gosh, I don’t know how to do that” vs “I can’t do that”).
- Learn to add the word, “yet” to self-limiting language.
- Self-limiting thoughts are tied into our self-worth, and fear can guide us.
- We need to identify the beliefs that are limiting us.
- Writing down our goals actually help us to achieve them because we are creating intentional action towards them.
- How to react when fear kicks in and tells us we can’t do what we know we can do.
- The number one thing that gets in our way of achieving our goals, is believing we can’t.
- Try to understand the theme behind the self-limiting belief, because it is likely there is one central theme that binds them all together, i.e. perfectionism, not being smart enough, not being experienced enough, not old enough or young enough.
- Once you discover the theme, you can take it on. Do you still want it around? Are there truths in it?
- Put incremental steps into combatting that self-limiting belief.
- Fear is ok!
- You can look at fear, then walk right past it.
- Our confidence is a by-product of being afraid and taking action anyway.
Links / Resources:
Her Life Unscripted Facebook Page, give it a LIKE!
Shine Retreat is coming up September 27th - 29th, 2019.
Registration at: https://www.shineretreatforwomen.com/
Email me at info@ShineRetreatforWomen.com to receive $50 discount code off registration.
You can also reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Shine Retreat” is limited to 40 women.