Hollywood Breakthrough Show with Danielle Tillis : TV & Film | Comedy | Podcast For Entertainment Careers In TV & Film
HBS 031 Interview with Sybil Darrow TNT Claws Writer's In-Room assistant! Audrey ( Indie Film) Producer
Manage episode 182782265 series 1236204
CLAWS TNT American comedy series cast Niecy Nash, Carrie Preston, Judy Reyes, Karrueche Tran, Jenn Lyon, Jack Kesy, Kevin Rankin, Jason Anton, Harold Perrineau, and Dean Norris. www.tntdrama.com/shows/claw
At the Nail Artisan of Manatee County salon in Central Florida, five diverse, hard-working manicurists try to make ends meet in a staid economy while managing perilous personal lives awash in drama. Amidst all the silk wraps, pedicures and polish treatments, salon owner Desna, who lives with and cares for her mentally ill twin brother, leads a staff that includes best friend Jennifer, now sober and raising two kids from a previous relationship; enigmatic Ann, who provides security for the salon; mild-mannered preppy and ex-convict Polly; and Virginia, who becomes easily bored and impatient with her job. Also hanging around the salon are shady redneck Roller; ambulance coach Bryce, Jennifer's husband who is also newly sober; and Uncle Daddy, a dangerous, deeply Catholic and actively bisexual crime boss
Executive producer(s) - Eliot Laurence, Rashida Jones, Will McCormack, Janine Sherman Barrois, Howard Deutch.
CLAWS Cast on TNT
- Niecy Nash as Desna Simms, the owner of Nail Artisans, a salon in Manatee County. She has high hopes of owning a much better salon and goes through with the money laundering scheme to get it. She had a relationship with Roller, but when he tried to cheat her out of her earnings, she helped Virginia kill him. It is later revealed that she and her brother, Dean, spent their childhoods with abusive foster parents because of their mother's crack addiction.
- Carrie Preston as Polly, a redheaded South Carolinian and professional con artist who did time for embezzling money from seniors. She is fiercely protective of Desna, who seems to be the only positive influence in her life.
- Judy Reyes as Quiet Ann, the salon's lookout, and doorman. She is openly lesbian.
Karrueche Tran as Virginia Loc, a former prostitute for Uncle Daddy who Desna hires to work in the salon in order to protect her from her former boss.
- Jenn Lyon as Jennifer Husser, Desna's best friend, and Bryce's wife. She has two daughters. Having already lost more than a few relatives to the consequences of organized crime, she is adamant that Bryce not be part of his family's business.
- Jack Kesy as Roller Husser, Clay's nephew and a high-powered drug dealer whose death in the first episode triggers conflict between the Hussers and Desna's salon. It is later revealed that he is alive, having been imprisoned by a woman as her slave.
- Kevin Rankin as Bryce Husser, Jennifer's husband and Roller's brother, who joins the Dixie Mafia to get justice for his death.
- Jason Antoon as Dr. Ken Brickman, a Lebanese pharmacist who runs one of the mafia's pill mills. He suffers from emotional instability stemming from his failed marriage.
- Harold Perrineau as Dean Simms, Desna's autistic brother who has a crush on Virginia.
- Dean Norris as Uncle Daddy/Clay Husser, Bryce's and Roller's uncle and the ruthless head of the Husser crime family.
- Elvis Nolasco as Detective Chip Laurence, an associate and enforcer for the Husse
Sybil Darrow began her career as both producer and star of "Ten Benny" opposite Oscar winner, Adrien Brody, which premiered to rave reviews at the Sundance Film Festival and was released in theaters in 1998.
Two years later, Sybil would star once again opposite Adrien Brody in "Restaurant", which takes an unflinching look at racial issues in a busy Hoboken Eatery.
Soon to follow was a starring role in Chris Menaul's Emmy-award winning Showtime Original Feature, "The Passion of Ayn Rand", as the doe-eyed ingénue who thwarts the celebrated author philosopher's affair with a protégé. The film, which premiered at the 1999 Sundance Film Festival, also stars Helen Mirren, Peter Fonda, Julie Delpy and Eric Stolz.
Moving back to the big screen and over to studio pictures, Sybil next went on to star opposite Amanda Peet, Jerry O'Connell and Tara Reid in New Line Cinema's "Body Shots". Viewers and critics alike praised Sybil for her portrayal, which "suggests enough complexity to merit a longer story of her own." (Variety)
Returning once again to independent film in the leading role of Allison, Sybil starred opposite Jami Gertz, in the dark comedy, "Lip Service" (a.k.a. Kat and Allison).
Next, Sybil starred opposite Skeet Ulrich in the ABC series, "Miracles", which began airing in January 2003 and soon after starred in Steven Bochco's HBO series "Marriage". She can also be seen in Sony Pictures' release of "The Cavern". And getting back to her roots of producing, Sybil wrote, produced, and starred in the short film, "Piece A' Cake", which was invited to make its world premiere at the American Cinematheque's Egyptian Theatre in Los Angeles.
"Piece A' Cake" reunited Sybil with its award winning director, Dean Pollack. The two had previously worked together in Dean's debut feature film, "Show & Tell", for which Dean received the first ever, Blockbuster Independent Filmmaker Award.
Thank You for checking out Hollywood Breakthrough Show |
Follow us on Twitter @TheBreakThur
This podcast main purpose is to serve up positive information.
Join us at Hollywood Breakthrough Show, as we interview some of the most talented people in the business, which names you may, or may not know! But you have seen their work! Whether they're well- established veterans of the business, or current up and comers, these are the people who are making a living in Hollywood. Screenwriters, directors, producers and entertainment industry professionals share inside perspective on writing, filmmaking, breaking into Hollywood and navigating SHOW BUSINESS, along with stories of their journey to success!
HELP SPREAD THE WORD PLEASE! SCREENWRITERS, DIRECTORS, AUTHORS, we would love to help spread the word about your Film, Book, Crowdfunding, etc., Contact us! (EMAIL: Info@hollywoodbreakthrough.com ) See Videos of all interviews at Hollywood Breakthrough Show Please subscribe in iTunes and write us a review!
Follow us on Social Media Sites | Twitter @TheBreakThur| Facebook: facebook.com/HollywoodBreakthroughPodcast
Subscribe! Or, Please contact us for Interviews or Sponsorship of an episode!
(EMAIL: Info@hollywoodbreakthrough.com )
View Apps Sponsor:
Press and hold links to visit the page:
37 episodes available. A new episode about every 21 days averaging 42 mins duration .