Manage episode 279451193 series 2364808
Many of us, particularly those of us who grew up in conservative religious spaces, were taught unhealthy stories about what it meant to be a man. Some of them were generally toxic while some had added religious flavors. While many of us have rejected these teachings in our heads, we still struggle with internalized misogyny and toxic masculinity. This matters because, if we aren’t intentional and conscious about breaking those cycles, we may pass them onto our children.
Eric Eztli is on a mission to reimagine masculinity. He created the Instagram account Bloom Homie with a few friends several years ago. They focus on studying the patriarchal norms of this age and how they impact both men and women.
Eric is also a father who is thinking about all the ways he wants to guide his son in developing his own manhood. In this episode, we’re talking more about Bloom Homie as well as how Eric is helping society reimagine what it means to be a man in 2020.
- More about Eric and his work at Bloom Homie.
- How boys are taught to externalize pain.
- How we can all work together to have a healthier approach to pain in our lives.
- How Eric combats the toxic masculinity instincts from his childhood.
- His obstacles to forming friendships with other boys in childhood.
- What it’s been like for him to form intimate relationships with other men.
- Expanding the conversation around boundaries to all humans.
- Eric’s definition of healthy masculinity.
Links (affiliates included):
Bloom Homie - https://www.instagram.com/bloomhomie/?hl=en
Eric Eztli - https://www.instagram.com/ericeztli/?hl=en
The Macho Paradox by Jackson Katz - https://amzn.to/3fZNpcZ
Join us at the Parenting Forward Patreon Team - https://www.patreon.com/cindywangbrandt
Parenting Forward, the Book - https://amzn.to/3g0LJPn
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Danny Ozment.
He helps thought leaders, influencers, executives, HR professionals, recruiters, lawyers, realtors, bloggers, coaches, and authors create, launch, and produce podcasts that grow their business and impact the world.
Find out more at https://emeraldcitypro.com