Manage episode 229668979 series 2495065
The next generation of Copyright law hangs in the hands of Photographers, Illustrators, Graphic Designers, Copywriters, and other Creators. Congress is within weeks of seeing a bill that will allow Creatives to defend Copyright infringement. How significant is this legislation?
As of this writing, it's virtually impossible to defend your work being stolen unless the damages exceed THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS. If this new legislation passes, Creatives will be able to recoup lost income from those who steal their work. The process directly applies to damages LESS than $30,000, will involve no lawyers, no court appearance, no travel. It's an entirely new way of defending Small Claims Copyright infringement, and it applies to the vast majority of Creatives.
While the initiative has seen tremendous momentum, it still needs YOUR SUPPORT. It needs 4 minutes of your time. Right now, it actually only needs 30 seconds.David Trust, CEO of PPA
In this episode of The PhotoTellers, I meet with David Trust, CEO of the Professional Photographers of America (PPA). David along with MANY others have been working for years to develop this piece of legislation. Tune in to this conversation to learn:
- Why it's critical that this legislation passes NOW
- How likely it is that we'll see it passed
- The high points of the bill
- How the Small Claims process would work
- Why it will actually only require 4 minutes--total--of your time (and that's a high estimate)
If you make a living as a Creative, a family member does, or you care about the ability for Creators to protect their work, I'm asking you to do 2 things:
- Share this link with like-minded people (including your family). Tell them why you're sending it.
- Log on immediately to PPA.COM/GRASSROOTS to add your name to the list of people willing to help.
If you have questions/concerns, leave a comment in the section below and I'll be sure to forward them on to PPA.
And if you missed last year's conversation with David Trust, he discusses the state of the Photographic Industry. Find it HERE.
165 episodes available. A new episode about every 18 days averaging 30 mins duration .