Manage episode 234408876 series 1785627
Marcus Filly is the owner of Revival Strength and Revive-Rx, as well as a multiple time CrossFit Games athlete. Marcus has popularized the concept of Functional Bodybuilding and a more measured approach to intensity in fitness training - especially for people whose goal is to look good, feel good and move well (not necessarily compete at a high level). Marcus is a highly analytical individual, and we discuss finding the balance between being systematic and going with the flow, creating content for yourself and creating content for an audience, and many hilarious stories from training with Danny Nichols and the GRID League.Check out more from Marcus, Revival Strength & Functional Bodybuilding here:
- Instagram: @email@example.com//@revivalstrength
- Website: www.functionalbodybuilding.net//www.revival-strength.com (Sign up for Marcus’s e-mail list here!)//www.revive-rx.com
- Podcast: Look Good, Move Well Podcast
- [01:51] The differences between posting training on a WordPress blog and posting training on social media – and the differences between posting to have a record of what you’ve done, posting to self-reflect, and posting to share for an audience.
- [11:17] What was the tipping point to move from the personal fitness blog to social media?
- [15:20] The difference between systemizing and going with the flow – and how to decide when a system is helpful and valuable, and when it’s overly restrictive.
- [20:04] “Letting your hair down” – how being overly analytical can cause roadblocks, and why what got you here won’t always get you there
- [31:53] Training with Danny Nichols – and strapping him to the pull-up bar with lifting straps to teach him kipping. And tales of folly and intensity from the Grid League including a broken hand from touch-and-go power snatches.
- [42:59] Tying multiple different businesses together – and the challenges of running an in-person gym when you’re running a successful online business.
- [52:38] How to create content for a large audience – and how to think about people misunderstanding the message
- [01:03:25] How to handle and react to negativity on the internet – and how handle the opportunity cost of helping everyone who reaches out for advice while still being grateful for the fact that people are paying attention.