Manage episode 229193264 series 10587
13% of adults in Alaska have served in the military or other uniformed services, making Alaska the state with the highest proportion of residents who are veterans. What are the health needs of Alaska’s veterans? What services are provided by the Veterans’ Administration? Line One co-host Dr. Jay Butler discusses these questions with a panel of guests on the next Line One- Your Health Connection.
HOST: Jay Butler, MD
- Dr. Vanessa Meade, Professor of Social Work at University of Alaska Anchorage
- Verdie Bowen, Director of Alaska’s Office of Veterans Affairs
- You can contact the Office of Veteran’s Affairs locally by calling 907-334-0874, or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs Alaska state summary
- Veterans are more likely than non veterans to suffer drug overdose. NPR’s Martha Bebinger shares how the VA is working to help vets during the opioid crisis
- NPR’s Morning Edition details how Los Angeles is working to keep veterans off the streets
- The VA’s Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (QUERI) was created to ensure that research is conducted and translated into practice to sustain improvements in care for veterans
- The CDC reports a significant decline in Staphylococcus aureus infections among patients who receive care at the Veterans’ Administration
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (10:00 – 11:00am)
- Send email to email@example.com before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air)
LIVE BROADCAST: Wednesday, February 27, 2019, at 10:00 a.m. AKDT
REPEAT BROADCAST: Wednesday, February 27, 2019, at 8:00 p.m. AKDT
LINE ONE’S FAVORITE HEALTH AND SCIENCE LINKS:
- Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic offer extensive health information libraries
- MedlinePlus has a guide to finding reliable health information on the internet
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI)
- Carl Sagan’s Baloney Detection Kit and common logical fallacies
SUBSCRIBE: Get Line One: Your Health Connection updates automatically by:
297 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days .