Manage episode 180676975 series 129769
Caitlin Doughty — mortician, author and death acceptance advocate — joins us for a candid and humorous exploration of our mortality. Caitlin is on a mission to help our death-phobic society overcome anxieties about death and make death a part of life. She sheds light on all areas of death and the dying process in her popular Youtube channel “Ask a Mortician” and New York Times best-selling book Smoke Gets in Your Eyes. She founded the death acceptance collective The Order of the Good Death and co-founded Death Salon. She also runs Undertaking LA, a Los Angeles-based nonprofit progressive funeral home that empowers families to have a closer relationship with their loved one’s death.
In this episode, Caitlin guides us through our rights — post mortem — and encourages us to consider a question not many are prepared to face: How would you like to die? Throughout our human history, families were responsible for the care of their own dead; the practice of transferring death care to a funeral home is a relatively new custom. Caitlin illuminates the non-funeral home & natural death care options that are available to us — at-home funerals, embracing decay, death doulas, natural burials and conservation cemeteries. Empower yourself to embrace the natural process of death and meaningfully interact with the dying process.Episode Breakdown:
- Show Introduction:
- SurThrival Pine Pollen Sale, upcoming product teaser & I'd Rather Hunt + Gather t-Shirts
- Hunt + Gather updates: Eating groundhog, roadkill deer and more!
- Q&A: The sustainability of hunting for 7.5 billion people
- Introducing Caitlin Doughty
- How Caitlin become enamored with the post mortem aspect of anatomy
- Theory and practice
- What is the common response to humor about death?
- The civilizing of civilization — what’s contributed to our fear and avoidance of death
- Caitlin’s exploration into the death rituals of cultures around the world
- Conservation cemeteries
- Death doulas, the non-funeral home experience and death acceptance
- The legalities of handling a dead body
- Immaturity about death
- Elders vs orders
- How Caitlin would like to die
- Caitlin’s prognosis for the future of the human species
178 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 97 mins duration .