Manage episode 239808653 series 2499001
Sharlene Jones is allergic to exercise (literally) but because hiking feels like home, fear of what could happen isn't enough to keep her from hitting the trail. Instead, she's developed a familiarity with her body that makes it possible to keep moving forward.
It's hard to say what the bigger challenge from the universe was: the exercise-induced anaphylaxis or winning the lottery to hike Mount Whitney after being diagnosed. Either way, Sharlene Jones is not one to back down from a challenge.
Featured in this episode: Sharlene Jones
Hosted by Gale Straub
Sponsored by Merrell
In this episode, you'll hear:
- Why Sharlene loves hiking and other forms of exercise, and why she almost had to give them up
- What an exercise allergy is and how Sharlene manages the attacks
- How a service dog has helped
- Why Sharlene wouldn't let fear keep her from hiking Mount Whitney, the highest mountain in the continental United States
- How as an ex-pat, hiking feels like home
- How focusing on "what is", rather than on "what ifs" can help you find joy in a moment and manage chronic health issues
- Words of advice for others who might have challenges or fears that get in the way of spending time outside
- Sharlene Jones: Instagram
- H.E.A.T. Hiking Group
- About Exercise-Induced Anaphylaxis
* Woosah Art
- Episode Landing Page
Sponsors and Discount Codes
Merrell: Learn more at Merrell.com
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays-- subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.
Music is by Kai Engel, Lee Rosevere, and Meydän using a creative commons attributions license.