Manage episode 268868339 series 1337812
Welcome to episode 188 of the Sexology Podcast! Today I’m excited to welcome Dr. Lanae St. John, to the podcast. In this episode Dr. Lanae speaks with me about how to have better conversations with our kids around sex, empowering them with the tools and knowledge they will need and how parents can better understand sexual orientation and gender identity.
Dr. Lanae St John, known as The MamaSutra, is a board-certified sexologist, certified sex coach, and sexuality educator. She is author of “Read Me: A Parental Primer for “The Talk”. Lanae lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her significant other and two daughters.
In this episode, you will hear:
- The hurdles we face talking to our kids about sex
- Being aware and noticing the issues around you
- How a shame spiral can easily develop
- The importance of talking to your partner about sex
- Taking a genital self-exam
- Overcoming issues of using sexual language with kids
- How Dr. Lanae turned the narrative around
- Looking at incorporating fantasy
- Teaching kids that pleasure from sex is okay
- Empowering our kids with the knowledge and tools they’ll need
- Learning to have a constructive conversation around STI’s
- How parents can better understand sexual orientation and gender identity
Thank you to our sponsor Better Help. Every day, thousands of people seek the help of a licensed therapist. If you are a psychologist, marriage & family therapist, clinical social worker or board licensed professional counselor, BetterHelp is the easiest way to apply your clinical expertise online. https://betterhelp.com/sexology
Checklist for Parents
Find Dr. Lanae online:
Free Chapter: Read Me: A Parental Primer for "The Talk"
Find Dr. Moali online:
Find me on social media:
If you are interested in booking a video counselling session with Dr. Moali:
Podcast Produced by Pete Bailey - http://petebailey.net/audio