Manage episode 228081681 series 2394558
Welcome to episode 112 of the Sexology Podcast! Today I am delighted to welcome Martha Kauppi, LMFT to the podcast. In this conversation, Martha speaks to me about polyamorous relationships, the common misconceptions people have around polyamory, how therapists can work with polyamory from a differentiation perspective?
Martha Kauppi, LMFT, is an educator, AASECT-certified sex therapist and supervisor, and AAMFT-approved supervisor. She specializes in relational sex therapy, including alternative family structures, and trains therapists to work effectively at the intersection of sex issues and relationship challenges.
Martha’s mission is to make sex a safe topic in therapy rooms everywhere by developing unique educational experiences and immediately-applicable learning materials for therapists.
In this episode, you will hear:
- The alternative relationship structures Martha has worked with
- How she became interested in polyamory
- The challenges people face in polyamorous relationships
- How Martha’s research showed polyamorous relationships can last for 26 years
- The sense of community and support polyamory can provide
- The common misconceptions people have around polyamory
- How not every polyamorous relationship is sexual
- The fear and intimidation people still face around this issue
- The role that jealousy can play in polyamory
- How therapists can work with polyamory from a differentiation perspective?
Podcast Produced by Pete Bailey - http://petebailey.net/audio
137 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 35 mins duration .