Manage episode 234829555 series 2394558
Welcome to episode 125 of the Sexology Podcast! Today I’m delighted to welcome Dr Melvin L. Phillips, Jr. to the podcast. In this episode Dr. Melvin speaks to me about chronic illness, the challenges of dealing with this issue, the uncertainty and anxiety it can create and tips on how to regain a sense of sexual normality.
Dr Melvin L. Phillips, Jr. is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Dr Phillips has worked in several mental health and substance abuse treatment settings including outpatient community mental health, inpatient treatment, and private practice for the past 13 years.
He is a speaker and has lectured on topics including preventative services, anxiety and stress management, caregiving stress, depression in the elderly, mindfulness and cognitive strategies for chronic pain, revalidating sexuality for couples with chronic pain and illness, ethical decision making, and the assessment of mental disorders. He has published in the Journal of Baccalaureate Social Work, conducting a research study on LGBTQ-Affirmative Teaching at Historically Black Colleges and Universities: Understanding Program Directors Views.
He holds a Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degree in Organizational Leadership with an emphasis in Behavioral Health from Grand Canyon University in Phoenix, AZ. In addition, Dr Phillips holds a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree from Norfolk State University and is an adjunct professor in the Master of Social Work Program with the School of Social Work at Western New Mexico University. Dr Phillips currently is currently in private practice in Washington, DC., where he treats chronic illness and sexual dysfunction.
In this episode, you will hear:
- How the is a common issue but one of talked about enough
- The challenges of dealing with chronic illness
- The side effects of becoming hooked on medication
- Learning to continue to enjoy pleasure through chronic illness
- How people going through this feel a part of their relationship has been stolen from them
- The uncertainty and anxiety it can create
- The impacts on your desire level
- Learning more about retrograde ejaculation
- Tips on how to regain a sense of sexual normality
- The importance of communication through this issue
- The way in which sexual rigidity can cause further problems
Bonus Episode, Sex & OCD: https://oasis2care.com/bonus-episode-ocd-and-sex/
Bonus Episode, Sex & Depression: https://oasis2care.com/bonus-depression-sex/
Podcast Produced by Pete Bailey - http://petebailey.net/audio
137 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 35 mins duration .