Manage episode 231444684 series 2482443
In today’s episode we are talking with our friend Yalda Alaoui from EatBurnSleep.com. We chat about the incredible journey she’s been on and how she healed her body into remission after suffering from a near terminal immunity condition. She shares her challenges and paves a path for other to follow by optimising these 3 simple things:
- Eating right
- Sleeping right
- Exercising right
“Yeah..we’ve heard it all before a 1000 times”, BUT Yalda’s story is living proof of how drastic life can become when you don’t take these 3 things into consideration.
“It’s only when we are at our worst that we look for problems to the solution, I’m teaching people that prevention is a much better approach” - Yalda - [38:45]
Born to both Morocan and Iranian Parents, Yalda moved to France when she was 12 and immediately started having dietary issues, the junk food that she was now regularly eating, was a stark difference from what she’d grown up with back in Morocco.
At 15 years of age she found an interest in economics, finding a subject and a lens through which she could understand and see the world with. This led her to studying at the London School of Economics and EDHEC Business School. And was soon followed by a very stressful job working on a trading floor in capital marketing. The unhealthy eating and a stressful job, along with a failed pregnancy then signaled to her immune system to finally shut down. In 2007 she developed two life threatening auto-immune diseases:
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Auto-Immune Haemolytic Anemia
The latter causing her hemoglobin measurement to fall to 4 (usually reserved only for patients in a coma). After being admitted to hospital, countless blood transfusions later, the doctors struggled to get to the bottom of the underlying cause. This pushed Yalda into extensively researching health for herself. A ten-year recovery lead her to sharing her knowledge, making a full career change and a full recovery. She eventually got to the route corse while searching for ways to ease her chronic inflammation, by cutting out all foods and starting again like a baby. She Added 1 food at a time, narrowing her eating options to only foods that didn’t cause her problems. This was only the start…
Here’s what we get into on this episode:
- What is your microbiome and how to avoid destroying your gut health?
- 60% of you neurotransmitters are in your gut? So let your belly think for you!
- What is leaky gut and what happens when your body tries to fight back?
- The importance of walking everyday.
- What happens when your body’s natural defense doesn’t know how to turn itself off?
- How stress plays a role in your immune system?
- The benefits of collagen powder and bone broth.
- Why lifting light weights are more important than the big heavy ones.
- Fermented foods, the most common in the healthiest longest living societies.
- The Vegan Myth - Why not all meats are unhealthy, just the processed ones.
- Why we should be choosing whole foods and dropping dairy / wheat / nightshades?
Show Notes: https://www.ikonns.com/podcast/episode22