Manage episode 231428050 series 2481550
Chad Hennings is is a three time NFL Super Bowl Champion with the Dallas Cowboys, a former A-10 fighter pilot, an author, a speaker and an entrepreneur.
Chad attended the United States Air Force Academy. There he was honored academically as well as on the gridiron. Named most valuable athlete at the Academy, he also earned: defensive player of the year honors from the Western Athletic Conference, a spot on the WAC’s All-Decade Team, the 1987 Outland Trophy, MVP of the 1988 Freedom Bowl, two-time Academic All-American, Academic All-American Hall of Fame, College Football Hall of Fame, and several other accolades. These achievements earned him a spot on the Dallas Cowboys’ roster.
However, he postponed his entry into the NFL to fulfill his commitment to the U.S. Air Force. Chad entered the Euro-NATO training program and went on to fly 45 missions in operation “Provide Comfort” behind the controls of an A-10 Thunderbolt II. The operation provided support to the Kurdish refugees in northern Iraq. He received two aerial achievement medals, a humanitarian award and an outstanding unit award for his actions. Chad then joined the Dallas Cowboys, earning a starting position as a defensive lineman. He spent his entire 9-year professional football career with the Cowboys, retiring with three Super Bowl rings.
He is active in several veterans’ initiatives and speaks to both businesses and non-profits on the topic of commitment. He is the author of the books, “It Takes Commitment”, “Rules of Engagement”, and “Forces of Character”.
In this episode we talk about (in order):
- Where Chad got his passion for aviation and football
- Who his mentors were growing up
- What he does to surround himself with the best people
- Why true strength is vulnerability
- What his process is for setting large goals
- His techniques for performing at a high level
- Reframing failure
- What is was like being a 25 year old rookie for the Cowboys
- Balancing large goals with having a family
- The power of relationships
- Projects he's working on now