Manage episode 340309529 series 2394211
Andrew Cushman is a former chemical engineer who found his entrepreneurial calling in real estate. In 2007 Andrew left his corporate position to start a business in real estate, starting off flipping single-family properties in Southern California. Sensing a shift in the market, in 2011 Andrew transitioned to multifamily acquisitions and has successfully syndicated and repositioned over 2,300 multifamily units. He is a frequent guest and panelist on real estate podcasts and educational forums, and recently launched The Multifamily Accelerator: a multifamily mastermind group for active and experienced Real Estate investors. We talked to Andrew about how his multifamily investing journey started, what to look for when starting out, how to approach investing in an older property, what to look for in a market, and the types of deals to avoid!
Announcement: Download Our Sample Deal and Join Our Mailing List
[00:01 – 05:53] Opening Segment
- Andrew talks about his background.
- He talks about how he got into real estate investing;
[05:53 – 21:26] Big Lessons Learned from a First Deal
- Transitioning from single-family flipping to multifamily investing;
- He talks about his first multifamily deal;
- How hiring a mentor is a must;
- What to look for when starting out;
- How to approach when you are investing in an older property;
- The best way to find the right property manager
[21:26 – 37:14] When to Start
- What markets to invest in;
- What to do when you can’t buy a deal;
- The importance of staying true to your process;
- The importance of relations with brokers;
- The types of deals to avoid
[37:14 – 44:10] Round of Insights
His first multifamily deal
Most Recommended Book:
Making the plan for the next day
#1 Insight for Multifamily Investing
Multifamily is easier than you think it is, but not at the beginning.
Best Place to Grab a Bite in Southern California:
The Cheesecake Factory
To learn more go to www.vpacq.com.
“Risk comes down to lack of knowledge or control.” - Andrew Cushman
“Multifamily gets better the bigger you get” - Andrew Cushman
Thank you for joining us for another great episode! If you're enjoying the show, please LEAVE A RATING OR REVIEW, and be sure to hit that subscribe button so you do not miss an episode.